BO15 Ratcumbent

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truss rods look perfect on this bike, they continue the flow of the bars and makes the front end look far less top heavy.
I wanted to get away from triple tree forks. I like springers but the head tube is too long. So i went with truss rods for an older simpler look

The eyeballs are cool
23B3ADD7-5FA8-4C35-940A-BFC51842DE28.jpeg

Rear wheel is complete and I love the pie plate. the rear derailer also showed up. I ordered a kickstand but the wrong one was sent. Im going with this older riveted crankset since I dont anticipate wearing out the chainrings. Im gonna be riding it but not that much. I tried several front derailers and the original will have to do for the frame tube diameter. I think I will be able to clean it up pretty good. I still have to work on the front mount for the rack and redrill the lower holes to position it right

BF799FEB-4154-4714-9ECF-4FF600D10781.jpeg
5CEF5137-59C7-4D77-A4A2-0BD602EFE54A.jpeg
2D144A04-F6AF-4834-9DFC-38B80F82F41B.jpeg

Last edited:
The headlight came in. I love the wild look of 6 leds in the front but Im not a fan of the bracket. Its a little too generic for me so I will have to come up with something better.
Also worked on the rear rack. I tweaked the front mounting bracket the best I could here. I will take it to work and shape it a little better. Im also going to drill new holes on the rear to lower it. As you see the frame mounting hole is forward of the axle hole. I need the little bends for the bungee straps on the rack to be centered over the axle so I will drill the holes forward to center the rack. This will make the bungee strap wings centered over the hubcaps. The rack will sit with the top parallel to the seat tube on the frame pretty much where its sitting now in these pics. Im thinking a piece of stained wood to fill just the center rectangle on the top to make a little deck.
6AA1AB1F-2C47-4F9A-9F30-EC3EF0E06988.jpeg
2F6DFC83-25D3-492C-A696-4D624BA434E7.jpeg
BA224758-D756-4D36-9E86-E0D779F40D8F.jpeg
705837A7-C6F5-43E8-9D61-36EDB83EEEB0.jpeg

Had a little time after dinner and put the chain on and went for a test ride. It was very smooth. Had no brakes or shifting ability and started moving pretty good. Then it kinda hit me, Im wearing flip flops and have no way to stop. Luckily I didnt have to. I like the back rest at its highest position and the garage pic shows the final position of where the seat will be
D4266EB2-23E3-417F-85D3-A1C0477B7AA6.jpeg
E5517886-31B0-452B-A1F0-E3C399382A06.jpeg

Looking good. I like the fink caps a lot. Good luck with the rack rigging.

Glad you didn't have to burn out for flip flops and feet for a Flintstones stop!

Looking good. I like the fink caps a lot. Good luck with the rack rigging.

Glad you didn't have to burn out for flip flops and feet for a Flintstones stop!
I like the carded fink caps so much I ordered another pair. Whichever pair is on the nicest card will hang somewhere in my garage, the other pair goes on the bike. Im playing with the idea of cutting the eyeballs in half and using 2 sided tape to stick them onto the crank bolts when it goes together after paint

1BE4A0D8-FAC9-488F-AC0C-D44920FE6852.jpeg
Pedals and cable housings came today. Got a white 25 foot roll of shifter and another for the brakes. Ive been looking all over for a 3/4 flared fender and finally found one today. Didnt want a half fender to end under the rack and didnt want a full either. The 3/4 is off a worksman. Still deciding on a tail light. Im down to two ways to finish the rear of the bike

Ive been working on cleaning up the front derailer. Im so glad I didnt throw it away because of the huge tube diameter. Its the only one I have that fits it and It actually cleaned up very well. Also the correct kickstand finally arrived. I have to wait until the weekend to back the car out and work on the right location for it. The bike is so big, I cant rotate it where its at.
88722B45-D6E1-4FE7-AE79-6DE61E609BD5.jpeg

Something told me to wait before drilling the rack and Im glad I did. The fender is so wide its pinched a little inside the rack. For now its Tightened with the left screw to be level with the frame. I will make a diffent attaching strip for the front of it. But for the most part minus some cake decorating, this is the jist of what it will be. Green with white seat and back pad. It wont look much different from many stretched cruisers but its actually a 14 speed touring recumbent and will be able to handle long rides outside of the bike party envelope. Im wearing shoes today and after the pics were taken, I removed a few things and went for another spin. It goes pretty good. The fat rear tire slows it down a bit but its staying on. Its definitely the most high performance of any build off bike Ive ever done. Almost ready for paint. Oh yeah, the last pic is my first epic fail for it. I tried a little humor and it doesnt sit right. But thats ok because my all time favorite tail light looks kick ... on it. I have to work on the mount for it and a power source still
0C920D3B-EDFF-4DB7-A206-D67FA859B14C.jpeg
A143A9A6-D3E5-4B30-AB5F-EA0D987B1D8C.jpeg
9173E2CA-2A88-420B-9B83-F3638F52BB9D.jpeg
938D0367-A3B6-4232-B99C-C6DAB95ED785.jpeg

I think you have made recumbent bikes cool again!
Just wait till its done, lots to do yet and Im already designing what to do with my next one. This one started with a stripped down rusty old bike, my next one will start with a perfectly cherry excellent condition bike. I must be losing it

Latest posts

Back