RRBBO13 RATLINER ( tail lights, more sprockets, titanium and she is done)

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 13 BUILD JOURNALS' started by karfer67, May 8, 2018.

1. karfer67

karfer67

Rear seat stays were a challenge to figure out. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

2. karfer67

karfer67

Thanks to those who have commented and pushed me to get this beast this far. Now time to make her look kool[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Falstaff

Falstaff

Looks like a sloppy set of headers, but rideable.

I like it.

kingfish254 likes this.
  4. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

Totally a unique and one of a kind build. So many curves and lines, but it all works. It is like following the curves of a trombone or saxophone or mad headers. Sweet music brother! The best part is you grinning from ear to ear in the pics.

Falstaff likes this.
  5. karfer67

karfer67

Thanks guys yea it has a lot of curves and it was a challenge to make it not look so spaghetti but still function. I'm nowhere near done still have fenders to do, and the bars and fork were just for testing. I have something much more extreme in mind

kingfish254 likes this.
  6. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

It's not fair parking it next to the soccer mom van,
    then saying you're going to make it look kool.
    Cuz it's already one up on the van...:giggle:
    Unique ride brother I like it's kool as is!

Carl

7. karfer67

karfer67

Hey that's my xb your talking about mister. I love my little toaster. Lol thanks man

kingfish254 and GuitarlCarl like this.
  8. Scrap Wolf

Scrap Wolf

Totally awesome! Very creative, a true one of a kind bike.

9. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

I'm pretty sure you've already achieved that objective.:cool2:

Dr. Tankenstein and OddJob like this.
  10. Verrt

Verrt

I had an Xb too, I loved it. @GuitarlCarl you don't know what you're talking about!

11. OddJob

OddJob

I agree with TRM, looks cool already! I actually really like the bars on this. Just curious, how much clearance on those pedals to the street? Looks tight, and I mean that literally and figuratively! :bigsmile:

12. karfer67

karfer67

Oh it's tight. If you lean wrong they will hit. So I'm going to dig through my stuff and find a 5 1/2 inch crank. I need to find a taller rear tire as the drop outs ended up getting mounted a bit lower than I had originally intended.

OddJob likes this.
  13. OddJob

OddJob

Yeah, a taller tire and that 5 1/2" crank should do it. The tubing design is ultra cool! The shorter crank option wouldn't change the nice parallel lines you have going with your lower stays and the ground.

They do make a one piece in as small as 3 1/2 " length, but the 4 1/2" length one has your common 24 tpi thread and 1/2" pedal hole and would probably be the ticket.

J & B Importers is a wholesaler that has locations around the country. Your local bike shop probably orders from them already. Here's the link to this part, you just give the part # to your LBS, and they can order it for you. Great source for all kinds of 'old school' bike parts.

http://www.jbi.bike/site/product_details.php?part_number=2233

4 and half crank.jpg

Dr. Tankenstein likes this.
  14. karfer67

karfer67

I have a 4 1/2 And I don't much like them even on my muscle bikes. For instance my drag bike (spoiler allert) has a crank over 7" for max torque. I forget what this one was honestly it was last min trying to beat a fb build off deadline and make it ride lol.

15. karfer67

karfer67

I love my toaster it's been to obc three times without a hick up and the last two times were with a trailer on hauling bikes. All the while still getting 30 mpg. It a if you know u know sorta thing I guess.

GuitarlCarl and Verrt like this.
  16. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

All rght you guys, I was just teasing. In all honesty I've been driving vans since before Leon was born. My second set of wheels was a 72 Ford with a 3 on the tree. In true soccer mom style some of the nicer ones I've had were Caravans. Throw a set of ladder racks on top and ya got a great work truck, rain or shine.

Also why don't ya hit the cranks with a torch and bend them to a shorter throw? Bent cranks look awesome and I haven't seen a set done in a long time.

Carl.

Verrt likes this.
  17. karfer67

karfer67

Now there is an idea. Lol and I know your just ribbing us. Honestly though you get one of these on a mountain road it's very fun. Only weighing 2400 pounds they are like little go karts.

GuitarlCarl and Verrt like this.
  18. toro1978

toro1978

You have a great vision, man! You kinda caught me off guard here. You have built Yourself a great bike! I will be following this thread from now on, curious what comes next.

19. karfer67

karfer67

Lol thank you Toro. Yea I guess now that it looks a bit more like a bike than a trombone it makes a bit more sense. Up next will be fenders gussets and no kool hopefully

20. karfer67

karfer67

So I knew from the start that this design using this tubing would require a gusset or another tube or something. I found this super nice thick plate and made it up. The idea was to taper the ends speed holes blah blah. Well it just didn't look good. To keep it structural as well would have ment keeping the plate pretty thick which made the opening much smaller. I felt that it took away from the over all design too much.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Scribble and kingfish254 like this.