RaTornado... Tank fab!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RaTornado......Rack fitted

outskirtscustoms said:
Just to let everyone know, If I win first place and get the 57mm wide wheels they will be used to replace the current wheels on this bike (after I tear them down and paint the hoops in black tinted chrome) So use your imagination and picture what they'd look like on here (with some fat whitewalls) because I'm too broke to buy a pair right now. :lol: :mrgreen:

There are prizes?!!!? I thought you just got a trophy or something! This changes everything :shock:

Re: RaTornado......Rack fitted

Vintagebikelover24 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Just to let everyone know, If I win first place and get the 57mm wide wheels they will be used to replace the current wheels on this bike (after I tear them down and paint the hoops in black tinted chrome) So use your imagination and picture what they'd look like on here (with some fat whitewalls) because I'm too broke to buy a pair right now. :lol: :mrgreen:

There are prizes?!!!? I thought you just got a trophy or something! This changes everything :shock:

Yep!
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=71830

Re: RaTornado....Ramhorns & new grips

New grips

Better picture of the stem jewel

New bars

Swapped out the peddles

Alloy kickstand (so I don't have to kick the crap out of the old one)

Re: RaTornado......Ramhorns and new grips

I was hoping that you would swap the ramshorns from DH2.

Re: RaTornado......Ramhorns and new grips

kingfish254 said:
I was hoping that you would swap the ramshorns from DH2.
Yeah I swapped the bars and put the mini apes from this back on DH2. I like the look and feel of the ram horn bars and the newer more pliable grips are a big upgrade too. I did try them upside down but it was just too much of a downward stretch for my back to handle so I put them on the right way.

Re: RaTornado.....Skiptooth throwback

I decided I didn't like the look of the new wheels, for one the spoke pattern was too busy for a clean old rat bike and alloy rims just don't have that old-school vibe I wanted. I also thought it was too hidden by the fender, rack, and everything else going on to really stand out so I will learn to like the original wheels for now. I may get some S-7 whitewalls later down the road if something sells.

Well since the wheels came off anyway and I haven't thrown sparks on this build yet besides chopping the struts off the rack I felt the need to break out the grinder. I think it adds to that old-school vibe I am shooting for.

Safety first people! Debris in your eye don't feel good.

Back on the bike

Rear cog got it too. Then a little spray can magic to make it look new again.

All done for now

Re: RaTornado.....Skiptooth throwback

Machine Age Victim said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Awesome! I'll be doing this on one of my future builds (I should be doing it on this one)

Just make sure it is an EVEN number of teeth first. My first time doing this I completely ruined a chain cog because I didn't count the teeth first. :oops:

Re: RaTornado......Skiptooth throwback

thats a cool trick!!!!!!!!!!! thank you :D

Troy

Re: RaTornado......coming soon new rubber

Since I made such good profit on the low rider bike I decided to go and get some new rubber for the old girl. Local bike shop had S-7 black walls in stock but had to special order my whitewalls so they should be here by Wednesday. I was pleasantly surprised by the price too cost me $34 and change for 2 brand new whitewall S-7 tires. The black wall and whitewalls were the same price so I figured the white walls would be worth the wait. Got the Sunlite Street S-7 tires with the whitewall. Here's what they look like on the site.

59054.jpg

Re: RaTornado......Coming Soon new rubber!

Okay waile I wait for new tires I'll create a poll, the white rims will blend right in with the white wall tires so I am going to paint them.

WHAT COLOR SHOULD I PAINT THE RIMS???

Re: RaTornado......Rim color poll! VOTE NOW!

Flat burgundy, so the attention stays on the frame color,

I'd stick with the original color of the rims. The double white will make it look look a wide whitewall 8)

EDIT:
Here's is yeshoney's bike with white rims :wink:
yeshoney said:

That's kinda what I want to avoid, it seems like the rim just gets lost in a sea of white, can't tell where the rim stops and tire begins. That's an awesome bike though just not my style. I like the flat burgundy and the distressing ideas but I really don't want to break the rims down because the spokes are old and probably seized on there and If I wanted to spend $70+ on new spokes I'd get new wheels! Hoping for a spray and go type of thing. I might try to spray on a few coats of black and silver then flat burgundy and fake a patina. Or maybe flat burgundy with a black lip around the edge? You've all got my gears turning now.

Latest posts

Back