RaTornado... Tank fab!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RaTornado... Final touches in the mail!

Just got my rear fender extention and Tony V. AKA "IronDio" knocked it out of the park! Killer work! Can y'all say taildragger fender?

That sick!!!
Can't wait to see it installed.

outskirtscustoms said:
Just got my rear fender extention and Tony V. AKA "IronDio" knocked it out of the park! Killer work! Can y'all say taildragger fender?

Thanks! I'm glad it arrived intact! I am glad I could contribute to this awesome build!

Got it installed! I had to re-locate the fender reflector a bit as not to cover the awesome artwork but it was easy to do.

I wasn't going to add a bunch of stickers to the bike itself but I went ahead and added this one as a BIG thanks to Tony V.

And a few more on the trailer.

Re: RaTornado... Tail draging fender installed!

Great work IronDio!!!
I don't think it's too big of a Fink at all!!

It's perfect! Looks awesome and you pulled off my vision perfect. Moving the reflector was just a matter of drilling a quick hole and moving it. Easy as pie. I will eventually get a spiked bolt to hold it on so it will look better.

Notice anything different?

How about now?

Yep I got my fender light today!!!

Pretty straight forward to install just 2 screws in the bottom nicely hidden but I did have to re-drill the fender to fork screw hole and move the fender forward to have enough fender to mount it. The light covers the old hole though so it's all good. Looks great, Thanks Walker!

Re: RaTornado... fender light installed!

Next phase when I get time is to make my own wooden tank. I have a new wood burning kit I have been itching to try out.

IronDio said:
I REALLY like that headlight on it!
I think it is important to have the horizontal lines in the frame and accessories parallel to each other and the ground, and it looks like you nailed it! Everything flows beautifully on it!

Thanks, that's what I was kinda shooting for, When I get the tank on that will pull it all together. "Walker" has more of those lights if you want one. He's charging $25 SHIPPED! Which is a bargain. Just add 2 "D" batteries.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63454&start=30

Well I got some time today to work on making my tank and I found myself on here looking at all sorts of home made tanks and I thought I'd scrap my idea of a wooden tank in favor of something cooler and lighter. So my taking some inspiration cues from both Stitch (MrLeghorn) and Western ƒlyer Šuper (ifitsfreeitsforme) and create my own version. A little expanded metal, cutting, grinding, painting, and some leather shoelaces later and we have a tank.

First I made a template from cardboard to get the curves right

Painted the tank halves

I tried to match the red to the seat so it will tie the different shades in to the rest of the bike.

Just laid one half there to see how it looked

Laced up like an old shoe

All the accessories line up perfect.

Updated Budget review:
$75.00 ...........................Bike & Delivery
$34.24 ...........................New Tires
$20.00 ...........................Paint, Clear coat, & Stripper
$10.00 ...........................Handlebars
$08.00 ...........................Kickstand
$01.99 ...........................Flashlights
$00.75 ...........................Air in the tires
$25.00 ...........................Fender light
$10.00 ...........................Shipping both ways for fender extension IronDio was kind enough to do the paint so I threw him a few goodies
$01.00 ........................... Dice from yard sale
$00.00 ........................... Expanded metal I had leftover from my cargo trike
$00.00 ........................... Leather shoelaces from my shoe shine kit that I got from a yard sale last year, still proving useful.
----------------------------------------------------
$185.98 ..........................TOTAL

STILL under $200 so I'm good. It will never be for sale so I don't care I just wanted to come in cheaper than $200.

I was at the bigger antique shop today getting a key made (Yes there is a locksmith shop in our antique shop) But among the 4 floors of stuff I had something catch my eye and I instantly knew it would be a cool trinket to have so for $9.50 I got it. It is an OLD padlock. I'm talking midevil looking padlock but what is cool is it has a kinda C shaped locking bar that fits my handlebars PERFECT. It will not go on unless you remove a grip! It's that good of a fit. Now it doesn't have a key, doesn't even close, but it has that wicked look to it so I got it. I might just weld the lock closed then slide it on there with a bit of thin chain dangling off of it. Just for looks you know.

I forgot to get pics but this is as close as I could find online with a quick search.

$(KGrHqZ,!nYFIKLBVcy2BSEWwFzQDg~~60_57.JPG

Here's the actual lock I got It's an E.T. Fraim Six lever, acording to my reaserch the company was bought out in 1920 so this lock pre-dates that.

Fits perfect around the handlebar like it was made for it. The open end will not fit over it so the only way to get it on or off is to remove the grip so no worry of it falling off.

Looks kinda cool hanging there. I'm going to get a little bit of old junk chain to put on there with it to make it look as though it was locked up and the chain rusted through

Re: RaTornado......coming soon new rubber
Since I made such good profit on the low rider bike I decided to go and get some new rubber for the old girl.

I just love this bike the Tornado. The Patina you nailed it. Where on earth did you get those Handlebars...way too cool.
So, I'm newer, didn't see the low rider...where'd you sell it at? just wondering

Great work:41:
Franco

Latest posts

Back