Raw Power

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do a bike with a raw finish paint job. The name is from a Iggy Pop song as I think the bike looks mean, raw, and fast. So I had a haggered AMF Hercules that the paint was complete trashed to use as a starting point. First I used some aircraft paint stripper but there was so much crap I gave up and just broke out the wire wheel on my die grinder. About 45 minutes later and 3/4 of all the wires missing from the bit I was finished. I painted the lugs with some black lacquer paint using a q tip so I wouldn't have to tape everything off. I thought it came out great as the metal wasn't complete clean and gave it some character. Some parts are just filler parts to make it rideable such as the cranks and bars and seat post. It's setup as a single speed but still thinking of making it fixed and picking up a Surly Fixxer to replace the freehub. It may looks flashy and expensive but it was actually pretty cheap. Yeah the wheels weren't cheap but still scored a killer deal at 200 for the pair. They go for 350-400 on ebay right now so I did pretty good on those. The fork was even more of a killer deal at 40 which included the Cane Creek threadless sealed headset. Everything else was picked up at my LBS used section in the basement. I think I have 300 into the whole build believe it or not. So I'll quit yapping and put up some eye candy.
100_4696.jpg

100_4697.jpg

100_4695.jpg

100_4694.jpg

It rides pretty nice but the gearing is kinda crappy at 44/20. It'll stay until I purchase the cranks I actually want as the current Coda(Cannondale) MTB cranks were only $10 and sit really far out from the frame and the chainline spacing is wacky.

So, did you clear coat it?

Looks good. Did the clear coat darken the frame that much? I'm doing a bike that way right now.

Maybe you could put an 17 or 18 on the rear to help until you change out the cranks.

I did have a 17 on it but decided to try out the 20 so it's just a matter of switching it over. I made the so called single speed kit myself cause I'm not going to pay like 20-30 bucks for a set of washers and a lock nut. So instead I used some 1/4" thick PVC pipe and made my own spacers for free and took an old cassette and separated it. So everything was free and it works just fine. I've been debated on picking up a Surly Fixxer and making it a fixed gear setup but it's nice being able to coast sometimes. It did get me ten miles in 50 minutes with some good inclines but I'm still getting used to drop bars. I'd say it weighs about 19-20 lbs as the frame was kinda hefty in the mid 4 lbs mark.

As for finish after clear coating. I didn't really noticed a difference. I think it did get a little darker and made the inperfections of my stripping job stick out but I like it.

Latest posts

Back