Re: Joining the club - fun in the snow!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well guys I am finally joining the club, I ordered my red Mongoose Beast today. I can't wait till next week! :mrgreen:

Re: Joining the club

And I already have a crank to swap onto it. :mrgreen:

Remember the GT Karakoram I parted out? :mrgreen:

blown240 said:
Cool! Any mods planned other than the cranks?

As money becomes available maybe, so far I know I am going to swap the bars, cranks, seat, and grips because I have them.

As other's have said, you're definitely going to enjoy this one :mrgreen:
After the usual lubbing and oiling, (adjusting and/or loosening chain, cranks, bearings, etc... )
I too changed the bars (put some beach cruiser ones) with some short grips, a spring saddle (gel seat)
and some heavy duty pedals (originals feel flimsy).
Then ordered some surly tubes, making the wheels feel a bit lighter, a laid back seat post (from slowriderz)
and i think my last mod would be sunlites but as is, the ride is just awesome .... (yup also got the red one)

Hope you share pictures once you get it :)

hckngrtfakt said:
As other's have said, you're definitely going to enjoy this one :mrgreen:
After the usual lubbing and oiling, (adjusting and/or loosening chain, cranks, bearings, etc... )
I too changed the bars (put some beach cruiser ones) with some short grips, a spring saddle (gel seat)
and some heavy duty pedals (originals feel flimsy).
Then ordered some surly tubes, making the wheels feel a bit lighter, a laid back seat post (from slowriderz)
and i think my last mod would be sunlites but as is, the ride is just awesome .... (yup also got the red one)

Hope you share pictures once you get it :)

Oh if you know me you know I have 3 photobucket accounts for pictures! :mrgreen:

You'll have fun with it. I haven't taken FFII out in a while, but they are fun rides. Eventually, mine will probably end up with a skinny wheel up front.

kingfish254 said:
You'll have fun with it. I haven't taken FFII out in a while, but they are fun rides. Eventually, mine will probably end up with a skinny wheel up front.
I have been awake nights thinking of all the mods I want to do. Does anyone make a suspension front fork for a 4 inch wide wheel that will fit the beast.

There aren't many options for suspension forks yet. Thats one of the reasons I made mine. You can try to find a Girvin to widen...

outskirtscustoms said:
I have been awake nights thinking of all the mods I want to do. Does anyone make a suspension front fork for a 4 inch wide wheel that will fit the beast.

There's only 2 options right now ...
either the maverick SC32 or the DUC32, but are NOT cheap.
Is best to take blown240 advise and build your own :D (plus is more fun that way)

I'll probably either wait till they come out with something or I'll widen a standard triple tree style with suspension legs then just machine my own crowns and widen the brace.

That fat Girvin that blown made is inspiring!
Also, don't forget the one that Uncle Stretch did.

kingfish254 said:
That fat Girvin that blown made is inspiring!
Also, don't forget the one that Uncle Stretch did.

That Girvin is awesome but I want a simple mountain bike look to mine and use something like a clamp style fork. I had one that would have ROCKED! This monster size fork I had on a Huffy Mojave, might have to try to get it back from my friend to widen it. Just had that overly beefy look to it.

P1310033.jpg

Just remember that if your going to widen a standard fork, its better to start with a 29er fork. Also you will need to make a new cross brace, so try to find one with a removable brace.

blown240 said:
Just remember that if your going to widen a standard fork, its better to start with a 29er fork. Also you will need to make a new cross brace, so try to find one with a removable brace.

Good save there, I didn't stop and think that the 26 x 4 is taller as well as wider.

There has to be some cheap 29er fork our there to widen. I wonder if any have Canti mounts, or if disc is the only brake option. Are you planning on doing a front brake?

blown240 said:
There has to be some cheap 29er fork our there to widen. I wonder if any have Canti mounts, or if disc is the only brake option. Are you planning on doing a front brake?

At this point I have no idea, my plan is get it, ride it, and kinda learn as I go. My dream bike (One of MANY) is a Surly Pugsley Necromancer but the price tag kinda gives me a heart attack. So I will probably do mods till I get a happy medium between the Beast and Surly.

necromancer1.jpg

Just looked on the tracking info and Walmart says it will be ready for pickup on the 16th but I tracked with the FedEx thing and it says it will arrive on the 13th! I hope FedEx is right! I can't wait! I already got the bars, stem, and grips assembled waiting to go on. :mrgreen:

So far it has been shipped and gone through Marcy, NY and Syracuse, NY.

10/11/13 4:35 AM Departed FedEx location SYRACUSE,NY
10/10/13 5:17 PM Arrived at FedEx location SYRACUSE,NY
10/10/13 11:55 AM Picked up MARCY,NY
10/10/13 5:25 AM Shipment information sent to FedEx

Latest posts

Back