Re: Joining the club - fun in the snow!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Joining the club - More pics!!!

You will notice the difference. It will be easier to pedal. Its not a HUGE difference, but a great place to start.

Have fun with it now. I took FFII out this weekend and really enjoyed it.

kingfish254 said:

So far I love riding it! Only complaint so far is it won't fit on the city bus bike rack :lol: but I knew that before I bought it. Also Kingfish I noticed you are running the same setup I am going to be putting on mine from 36 tooth stock crank to a 32 tooth. How do you like the gearing?

outskirtscustoms said:
kingfish254 said:

So far I love riding it! Only complaint so far is it won't fit on the city bus bike rack :lol: but I knew that before I bought it. Also Kingfish I noticed you are running the same setup I am going to be putting on mine from 36 tooth stock crank to a 32 tooth. How do you like the gearing?

It's great for flat city riding.

I got my crank puller today! Had to help a friend move AGAIN so I didn't have a chance to swap out the crank yet but I will get to it in the morning.

Got my donor bike's cranks off last night and I wonder how I ever lived without one of these tools! Works great! Still need to finish up my spacers for the chain ring bolts and swap the crank onto the beast.

Well I got my spacers done, I know it fit with the two chain rings bolted in together so what better to make into spacers? I chopped into the original chain ring and made spacers from it.

Installed!

Didn't even have to shorten the chain!

I did however need to relocate the brake arm to the seat stay to clear the dropout. Easy as pie.

I like the new gearing, much easier to ride over rough paths and up hill and still gets up to a decent cruising speed.

Re: Joining the club - new cranks!!!

LukeTheJoker said:
Very cool! Those 3 piece crank tools sure make the job easy! Love mine, even though it is nearly worn out...

Luke.

Yeah I now wonder how I lived without one, and you can't beat the price either got it for $5 with free shipping from E-bay and it shipped in like 4 days! Also I can't believe how heavy the original cranks are in comparison, they are like bricks!

Re: Joining the club - new cranks!!!

I went for a decent ride today (one of the first decent weather days we've had since my crank swap) and I noticed my knees were coming up a bit more than with the old cranks. I looked and sure enough the old cranks are 170, the new ones are 175. Not a huge difference but enough so that I raised the seat a touch. Now it rides great. I even took it down into the drainage area in the school yard up the street after it had rained and it handled it no problem and I crawled the rocks on the way out. It was fun! :mrgreen: This thing is a blast!

Re: Joining the club - getting ideas

I think I now have a direction to go with this bike for after I ride the crap out of it and it gets scratched up and old looking. Paint it orange, a few DK "General Lee" decals, some confederate flag pads, and paint the wheels black or grey.

Did a bit of playing around on paint and I think I know what's going to eventually happen to this bike.

So I was bored yesterday and I have an app on my iPhone called "I'd Cap That" which is an app that adds a random caption to your picture. Well I ran a picture of my Mongoose Beast through it and I think it nailed it! :lol:

Well after getting soaked riding in the rain a while back I have thought more about a broken motorcycle fender I found on the road, It looks like it will fit and look pretty cool but as far as keeping water off my back it's not long enough. What you guys think Yay or Nay?

Well we finally got a good deep thick snow so I got a chance to really test this beast of a bike. I am amazed! It handles snow very well for a bike, Very minimal slip even towing a trailer full of groceries (Double bagged and tied to prevent moisture from getting in) It was awesome riding by all the trucks out plowing snow and seeing the look on their face when they get passed by a bicycle.

We got a good 6-8 inches of thick wet snow and it is still coming down so I threw on my Carhartt coat, coveralls, and sock hat and went to the store for groceries.

Unplowed streets

Trail tested and passed with flying colors. Does need some different peddles though these things have no grip when wet.

Latest posts

Back