Rear axle diameter and thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to make a new rear axle for a bike. Does anyone know the standard diameter and thread pitch for a rear axle with coaster brake? I know its metric because it is a newer single speed rear axle of a import (Asia) bike. I am looking to replace axle with a piece of threaded rod. Anyone know what size to get for the threaded rod? Or if anyone knows the size for the nut that would work as well. Thanks in advance!!

If you have a KT or Shimano coaster hub, you have a 3/8" by 24tpi. You may see some axles listed as "9.5mm x 24tpi", which is the same thing... it;s a 3/8" axle, but they do the conversion to metric b/c ppl are goofy.

Obviously, you want a 3/8x24tpi nut for a KT or Shimano hub, as well. If you happen to have a different brand of hub, let us know so we can figure out what you need.

HTH
Rob

I am looking to use a piece of threaded rod to put two rear hubs on a single axle. It is the standard size that for regular single speed coaster brake bikes, it uses a M15 wrench to turn the nut holding the wheel on the bike. A 3/8-24 doesn't work a M10-1.0 doesn't work either. Any clues?

I'm running into the same problem with trying to find axle nuts to fit my Sturmey Archer. The thread pitch on axles are not something you can find at a hardware store. I'm thinking mine is something like a 3/8 27. good luck!

The tire place over torqued the nuts on my Sram 2 speed, they are stripped but the axle is hardened, lucky for me. I stole the nuts from the other 2 speed I have, can't use it now. Even the bike shop doesn't have the right ones, they give me the standard wheel size. That should work for you. I'll bet the threaded rod is 20tpi, and the nuts are 24tpi.

How about a new Origin8 cartridge bearing road bike hub with 130mm spacing? Would really like to replace the QR with a nutted axle.

OK, here's the deal:
JGood: you should try 3/8x26tpi.
RenMAn you need 13/32x26tpi
Wildcat, you need 10.5x26tpi if you have an old Sachs 2speed; the new Automatix hubs take m10x1

We were looking for the size today. I was at the local bike guy's place and he can't find them for my Automatix also. m10x1. Thanks, I'll see if the local places have them.

How about a new Origin8 cartridge bearing road bike hub with 130mm spacing? Would really like to replace the QR with a nutted axle.

Your Origin8 is a re-branded formula; it takes a m10x1. I have one I can send you for the price of postage (no nuts, though...) If you have a matching front, it takes a m9x1.

The Wheels Manufacturing axles are affordable, and are chromoly so they are as tough as it gets in whatever given diameter....

I am looking to use a piece of threaded rod to put two rear hubs on a single axle. It is the standard size that for regular single speed coaster brake bikes, it uses a M15 wrench to turn the nut holding the wheel on the bike. A 3/8-24 doesn't work a M10-1.0 doesn't work either. Any clues?

Your Origin8 is a re-branded formula; it takes a m10x1. I have one I can send you for the price of postage (no nuts, though...) If you have a matching front, it takes a m9x1.

The Wheels Manufacturing axles are affordable, and are chromoly so they are as tough as it gets in whatever given diameter....

I knew you were the right guy to ask. Been having trouble finding a long enough axle. Convo started on that.

Front hub is a vintage campy record. Kind of on the fence with that one. Campy skewer is kinda sweet.

Quick release on the horizontal rear dropouts bugs me though.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... not sure how i missed that the first time. That should be an interesting disaster. Can't wait for pics.

I never thought of putting 2 hubs on one axle. The fat bikes have very long axles, so it should hold up. I'm guessing it'll be 2 separate wheels side by side, but from there I've got no idea of what it might be, but it sounds inventive. What will hold the right side wheel brake arm? 2 coaster brakes on one axle? Interesting skid marks for sure! How will the left side wheel sprocket be accessible? The new 3 speed Sram Auto has a PTO on the one side, so maybe the one wheel might have an extra function of some kind. I'm curious.

It won't hold up b/c of the stresses occurring at the axle where the 2 hubs meet. The right side coaster brake will be useless, as will the left side cog. It would make more sens to cut 2 hubshells asunder, weld them together, and build a fattie hub out of that..... But, it'll still be cool to see some pics, if this ever happens...

A way to solve the brake and support problem would be to have a brace, like an extra triangle, go from the seat stay to where the hubs meet and bolt up in the middle between the wheels. Like a very narrow trike. Then there's the left side cog to figure out. Run a chain to it with a brake actuator handle?

Latest posts

Back