Rear drum brake question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm currently in the middle of a 3G Choppermeister build and have a question regarding the rear hub. The hub is a single speed with a drum brake. I was thinking of changing to a 3speed internal hub and was wondering if I need a specific drum brake hub or can the drum brake be retrofitted to a free wheeling hub ?
TIA

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hiya Friesy
Is it a back pedal coaster brake? Or a drum brake with a cable and brake lever?
The simplest solution to have brakes in the hub is to fit a Shimano or a Sturmey Archer 3 speed coaster hub. They're tough, easy to find, and not that expensive.
When you start getting further into it there are more options - Shimano also makes internally geared hubs that will take a roller brake - it attaches to the hub gears and is kinda like an external coaster brake. Sturmey Archer make 3 speeds with drum brakes and coaster brakes - the new coaster brake hubs are meant to be really good, the vintage ones are meant to suck. I've used the SA drum hubs & found that up front they're really awesome but in the rear the braking power is pretty mild.
There's a couple of other 3 speed hub makers - SRAM. Fichtel and Sachs who were bought by SRAM and don't exist anymore but can be bought 2nd hand. Hope this helps!

From what i know about this model, chances are your hub is fitted with the Shimano roller brake, not the drum brake. They are similar in design but not same. Check what model your brake is.
If it is indeed a Shimano roller brake, then it can be easily fitted to any Shimano Nexus freewheel hub.

Latest posts

Back