Recent-ish acquisitions...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am leery of old carbon. The glue that bonds the pieces is rumored to breaks down over time. I'd strip the Maguras and Girvin, along with anything Deore or xtr, and put whatever is left up for sale. Plus maybe the wheelset, quality 26ers aren't getting more common.

Steel is real!

*Apparently, the Maguras are a b@$+@®& to set up!

Maguras are rim crushing monsters...the Apex predator of the rim brake world! :grin:

The CF looks nearly perfect on this thing. I say nearly, because there is a difference in shiny-ness across the frame. I'll give it a good washing and see if it makes a difference. I'll have to do a little googling to see if CF has dry out/rot like fiberglass...and if so, what can be done about it.

Pre-work 'local' CL score... only a 2.5hr round trip :thumbsup:.
***excuse the crappy pics...camera lens is shattered and I'm not replacing this phone until I get two years out of it...no matter how much I hate it :grin:***

These two showed up on CL last night. I gave a quick call and set up a meet time for this morning...turns out I was the first of three callers, so he gave me first 'dibs'.

IMG_20200204_130231121.jpg

...a pair of Silver King Hawthornes! My first!

IMG_20200204_130647239.jpg

IMG_20200204_130753009.jpg

IMG_20200204_130812979.jpg

I stopped by the co-op in Salem while I was there. It is my favorite... because it's the only with friendly people working there. Every other co-op I've been to is nothing but attitude or aloofness.

Anyway...this bad boy is for a 24"...and it is stamped 00-07 ... CR-MO5 ... there is also a 230 and a partial W. There is a large Western script word that ends in 'ER'...I assume it is Spinner, but it is lightly stamped and filled in with paint.

IMG_20200204_150357539.jpg

I assume the 00-07 is July of 2000...but, I can't find any BMX Dyno with those stickers... or any Dyno cruisers with BMX style forks.

Very interested in any clues as to what they came on originally so I can verify they are chromoly :thumbsup:.

Yeah the DB on my Nitrus is the only sticker that stuck around. That timeline was a quote from bmxmuseum, I don't think they've closed the Diamond Back/Diamondback debate yet...

Wow, that's cool. I have the PERFECT spot for that. Every time I see an alert for this thread, I know I'm going to be hit with a weird combo of excitement and jealousy.
Air/oil shock? I'd bet seals and bushings aren't getting easier to find!
Any idea on the weight of that thing?
Gawd, I'm like a hyperactive chipmunk:speechless:

Wow, that's cool. I have the PERFECT spot for that. Every time I see an alert for this thread, I know I'm going to be hit with a weird combo of excitement and jealousy.
:bigsmile:... thanks...I like to think I have eclectic tastes...or...it could be we just share the same lame tastes :grin:.
Air/oil shock? I'd bet seals and bushings aren't getting easier to find!
Any idea on the weight of that thing?
It's dead right now, but it may just need a squirt of light oil and a little air. These are pretty easy to rebuild...you can get away with doing it without any special factory parts. As to weight...the bathroom scale test, (me+fork)-me=fork, looks like 3lbs. It's light, feels lighter than a Girvin...which is also pretty light. Both are probably lighter than an old steel fork with truss rods.

I like the weird dead ends of the mountain bike evolutionary tree. If the rebuild of my oddball Specialized air/oil shock doesn't work out, I'll be on the hunt for something weird, one of these, or an Amp would be sufficient!

Latest posts

Back