Recognize this guard?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just bought a Schwinn Whozamawhatsit at an antique store because it had good Stingray bars and stem. Looks like a 24 or 26 inch girls frame with useless no-name 20-spoke 20-inch wheels and a Rainbow Brite seat thrown on it. The guard, however, caught my attention too... definitely seems older than the rest of the junk-pile parts on the bike. Look familiar to anyone?
20191105_123446.jpg

The whole thing in case you're curious:
20191105_124218.jpg

The chain wheel is the Schwinn standard 36 tooth "lucky seven" they had for many years.

So I backed into the driveway and blew this thing apart before I even took it out of the van. The wife has been giving me the side-eye because I keep trying to get rid of bikes but then more follow me home. So since I played hooky today, I figured I'd take this one apart before she got home from work and then it would just be parts in the basement like the rest of them, nothing to see here.
20191105_153007.jpg

As Wildcat said above, the chainring is indeed a Schwinn Lucky 7, and the little 4 1/2 inch Schwinn cranks are dated 1968. Kept them along with the BB bearings and hardware. It also had a Schwinn headset and fork, and though the stem seems to be Schwinn, the bars say Wald. I'm okay with that, they still look better than anything you can get new today. Rims seem useless, but the tires aren't bad and are holding air. Sissy will clean up. Seat is actually junk with a plastic pan, but I may use it to try my hand at recovering a seat. Chain was too rusted to bother with.

I gotta admit, though, it kinda feels like I'm disposing of a body...
20191105_153026.jpg

Just bought a Schwinn Whozamawhatsit at an antique store because it had good Stingray bars and stem. Looks like a 24 or 26 inch girls frame with useless no-name 20-spoke 20-inch wheels and a Rainbow Brite seat thrown on it. The guard, however, caught my attention too... definitely seems older than the rest of the junk-pile parts on the bike. Look familiar to anyone?
View attachment 108536

The whole thing in case you're curious:
View attachment 108537
It is a ladies a Varsity with 20 inch wheels! :crazy: I have seen a lot of Varsitys/Continentals. I took one apart with this drivetrain setup. :headbang:
fcbc13.jpg

Latest posts

Back