Recommend Marine Grease?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some time back, I was conversing with a bike shop owner who mentioned using marine grease for bearings. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Yes, oily and runs out on it's own, not impressed comparing to red wheel grease. Anyway, my thoughts after 25 years experience, not worth the added cost and upkeep.

Grease article

I have some of the Quicksilver stuff and I swear it looks, feels, smells, tastes, performs the exact same as my tube of Phil's. Maybe so, maybe no

Either way, can't hurt to have the extra corrosion resistance

Pretty sure this is the stuff I use. NLGI 2, looks like mayonnaise, what more do you need
0280806_1~2.jpg

Grease article

I have some of the Quicksilver stuff and I swear it looks, feels, smells, tastes, performs the exact same as my tube of Phil's. Maybe so, maybe no

That's a great article! Thanks!
I'm currently looking at Valvoline VV615 Automotive Multi-Purpose Grease. It's NLGI 2 and seems relatively inexpensive.

I've used the molasses looking marine stuff in the past, it tends to coagulate in dry storage conditions. Been using auto parts red lithoplex for quite a while with no complaint. I knew a guy who swore by Vaseline, but I've never tried it. :crazy:

Last edited:
Slightly off topic. I had a tube of white lithium grease in my garage. It gets very hot here in Florida and some kind of separation occurred. Dark amber liquid squeezed out of the tube ahead of the more solid grease. Further it turned more tan than white and was extremely tacky. I had some in a hub and BB and the stuff actually hardened. It was hard to wash of the bearings. I replaced it with cheap red Super Tech NIGI2 and it seems to work as needed.

Grease article

I actually used phill for years, personal and repair bikes, noted sitters/carpet queens the stuff would break down, run down a spoke.
For my own bikes, it was great for race rebuild queens, but for rain, lake jumpers, and snow dogs, red was the only one that didn't wash away.
For chain lubes the tenacious oil by Phill cannot be beat for water.

I've been using waterproof green grease. Can't really say if it's better, worse or indifferent compared to other greases, but it seems to work fine on my bicycles, motorcycles and outboard motors.

Latest posts

Back