Recumbents

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else have a recumbent in their garage? Are you thinking about one in the future? They come in many forms each with their own advantages. I am still experimenting with many used and neglected examples I can find at a reasonable price

Some Recumbent Abbreviations and Terminology

SWB = short wheel base
LWB = long wheel base
USS = under seat steering
OSS = over seat steering
Low Racer = laid back low between the wheels
High Racer = laid back high above the wheels
Direct Steering = handlebars and stem are connected to the fork
Indirect Steering = handlebars and stem rotate behind the fork and are connected through a chain or rods

Last edited:
This is the Ratumbent currently under construction for Build Off 15. It began as an Easy Racer EZ Sport. It was left out in the rain for many years and needed a complete overhaul
3E1B6D3E-42B8-458D-8699-77A1C635398F.jpeg
5D241403-0F5D-4613-92BA-527F67EF245D.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a Volae Sport and is considered a High Racer. It was stripped of many parts for a different build when I rescued it. I finally got it back on the road as a 9 speed and it is by far the fastest bicycle I have ever ridden. Im hoping to break 60 mph on it
0C81FB59-11B2-4007-9881-7AB63461C835.jpeg
0857144F-12E2-417D-A256-40F8BAC3ACEE.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a Bike E. It is considered a short wheelbase semi recumbent. The coolest thing about this bike is all 21 gears are on the back wheel. They used a standard 3 speed internal hub and mounted a 7 speed cluster. I dont know if its a freewheel or a cassette, I havent taken it apart yet. It will become Ratcumbent 2 in a future build
7042714B-B386-4F64-B0AE-4478F359F48C.jpeg

This is a Vision R-40. It is considered a short wheel base with under seat steering. Vision made later models with another headtube at the front of the frame so the owner could have it as a swb with direct steering or a lwb with a linkage steering. This bike was stripped and powder coated by the previous owner. With your hands next to you and nothing in front of you, it gives you a unique riding experience that I can only compare to as flying in a beach chair. The front wheel and crankset came from the ratcumbent
702D31F9-298F-429C-8C3B-84483E70C6BB.jpeg

This is my wifes Catrike Road AR. Due to medical reasons, she can no longer ride a diamond frame bike. This was purchased new in 2019 just before it was discontinued. It is suspended at all 3 corners and is what got me into experimenting with recumbents in the first place
0CA4D4B9-FAB6-4F9F-9A36-4785DC8E636F.jpeg

If I did another MS150 or other distance ride, I would definitely try a "bent" bike.
- They are much easier on the neck and wrists than a conventional drop handle bar bike.
- I came close to buying a Bike-e recumbent off of craigslist once. The aluminum box frame appealed to me. I have heard that the Bike-e is difficult to ride in urban riding that requires frequent starts and stops.

If I did another MS150 or other distance ride, I would definitely try a "bent" bike.
- They are much easier on the neck and wrists than a conventional drop handle bar bike.
- I came close to buying a Bike-e recumbent off of craigslist once. The aluminum box frame appealed to me. I have heard that the Bike-e is difficult to ride in urban riding that requires frequent starts and stops.
Starting and stopping takes getting used to for sure. The bike E was an entry level low cost bike in its day. It was the first recumbent I bought in riding condition and I didnt know any better. The steering bar is so short that the slightest movement causes the front wheel to turn. There is a kit available to adapt for a wider handlebar to help stabilize it. I will be making my own version of that in the near future

This is a Volae Sport and is considered a High Racer. It was stripped of many parts for a different build when I rescued it. I finally got it back on the road as a 9 speed and it is by far the fastest bicycle I have ever ridden. Im hoping to break 60 mph on it
Break 60 pedaling in the flats, or down a hill?

AFAIK, the only 'bents to break 60 in the flats are Streamliners.

Wrists = bike fit/setup issue
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/bike-fit
About 90% of the "roadies" I see in Boulder County, CO are suffering from fit/setup issues. I find it especially ironic since Andy Pruitt resides here.

Break 60 pedaling in the flats, or down a hill?

AFAIK, the only 'bents to break 60 in the flats are Streamliners.
If a hill is needed, thats ok, I want to experience the speed. Theres a section of slight down hill near me that I can hit 52 on a diamond frame drop bar. This is far more aerodynamic and has much bigger gearing. Has a 60 up front and. 12/28 in the rear

Wrists = bike fit/setup issue
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/bike-fit
About 90% of the "roadies" I see in Boulder County, CO are suffering from fit/setup issues. I find it especially ironic since Andy Pruitt resides here.
Fitting a recumbent takes a lot more trials to find. My volae took about 30 test rides to fine tune it after fitting it with no chain. the vision is still getting tweaked after 10 or so rides,

Fitting a recumbent takes a lot more trials to find.
Sounds right to me. My post was really in response to Wheelbender's wrist issue and the possibility of that being a fit/setup issue on conventional road bikes. I've never even thrown a leg over a recumbent, not to say that'll never happen. I'd like to design and build a Streamliner some day.

Sounds right to me. My post was really in response to Wheelbender's wrist issue and the possibility of that being a fit/setup issue on conventional road bikes. I've never even thrown a leg over a recumbent, not to say that'll never happen. I'd like to design and build a Streamliner some day.
The science behind them is pretty amazing and they are super expensive these days. Thats why Im playing with used neglected and discarded bikes. Every one Ive found so far had a similar story, an old person bought it, rode it for a while then it sat till they passed away. Then the kids have an estate sale. Also the 650 wheels came and went for triathlon bikes, very fast wheels and nobody uses them any more. I came into a stash of tires and wheels.
As far as streamliners, I Went way out on a limb and I did buy a Trisled Rotovelo rolling chasis from Utah Trikes. After getting all my parts on it, I discovered it must have been a factory second because the body mold was very lopsided and the whole thing went down the road crooked. They were a pain to deal with but I returned it. I am hoping to have a velomobile some day. In the mean time, Im just going to hot rod and finish what I have. I started stripping the bike E this morning

This is my Easy Racer SC-1 lite. Its an aluminum framed version and is considered a LWB. 16 inch front tire and 20 on the rear. I got it pretty much just like this except I put panniers on it were it has collapsable baskets. It was not used very much and stored inside. I changed the pedals and lubed the chain and have been riding it with my wife. Oh and I added a side kickstand on the rear. They come with a two legged center stand but it is hard to get to under the panniers.
7D80B33B-68FD-4F8A-B1A6-FC84DC4DE888.jpeg

My back wants a recumbent...my vanity says run for the hills. Looking for a compromise like the Sun Sunray Sx but figure it would require replacing everything but the frame & seatpost. I setup a Krate with a high back & one evening my son & I ran across a couple on matching bent trikes going about 0.05 miles per year. They had flags and ten zillion lights which blinded us so we stopped for them to pass through the intersection in a row. It was like waiting for a freight train to pass.

The seating position of some types of ¨recumbents¨ are very comparable to ¨stretched cruiser¨ frames, but are not recognized or seen as ¨serious bicycles¨.
This is my Felt Leadsled frame in former condition, it was built explicitly for speed.
It has 24 inch wheels, nexus 3speed and alu crankset.
lightsled.JPG

I am able to ride a stretched bike fast enough to pass ¨professional¨ racing cyclists, scooters,
and e-bikes even without a backrest-seat. Uphill is no problem either, downhill is a thrill.
Still curious if speed can be improved with a backrest, but stretchd frames are a viable form of,
or alternative to recumbents. So set your vanity free!

I've owned/built a few.
Barcroft Dakota. Now has a suspension fork and wider tires, great for touring/cruising. I did the Conqueror Virtual Challenge 481 mile Camino de Santiago this pandemic/hot summer with it on a trainer.
IMG_3573.JPG

9604F53D-E2F9-4540-AE4A-77402984F942.jpeg

A LWB I built from 1" square steel. Was OK, but heavy, and the turn radius was not great on the local trails.
IMG_3553.JPG

BO13 entry, based on the SWB stick-bike geometry. Rode well, but ended up recycling the components, because the Dakota is a better SWB, and it was time to build something else!.
IMG_3983.JPG

The seating position of some types of ¨recumbents¨ are very comparable to ¨stretched cruiser¨ frames, but are not recognized or seen as ¨serious bicycles¨.
This is my Felt Leadsled frame in former condition, it was built explicitly for speed.
It has 24 inch wheels, nexus 3speed and alu crankset.
View attachment 138037
I am able to ride a stretched bike fast enough to pass ¨professional¨ racing cyclists, scooters,
and e-bikes even without a backrest-seat. Uphill is no problem either, downhill is a thrill.
Still curious if speed can be improved with a backrest, but stretchd frames are a viable form of,
or alternative to recumbents. So set your vanity free!
Dang Karl, that’s so hot it melted the car next to it! Pretty much what I’m looking for.

Latest posts

Back