Red Velvet by Hellcat Cycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first build off. I'm finally in a spot with the facilities to do this properly. The frame i'll be using I bought in '05 for $100 and thought it would be a great venue for treating her to being built up. The frame is a 1945 Monark Super Deluxe with a Rolfast springer fork. Black drop center rims will be laced around "Blackout" New Departure hubs. The full slick tyres will make it roll fast and power a rear dynamo that will light the front and rear bulbs. Low lines and maybe a bit of leather. Should be a gas....

Blackout hubs have been sitting around waiting for the right bike....

Last edited:
Cool... another Kiwi on board. Looks like a great collection of parts to start with.

I'm curious, did you import the frame and parts or find them in NZ? I haven't seen many old bikes like that around myself, but you seem to have quite a collection going by the frames hanging in the background of the second photo... perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

Alexandra is one of the most beautiful parts of the country, but it must be getting cold down there now. I'm at the top of the N.I. and it's quite nippy up here even.

You might like to add your location marker to the Build Off Ten Builders Map. Here is the Participant Location Map thread...

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/build-off-ten-participant-location-map.91992/

Enjoy the build off.

Glen.

Cool... another Kiwi on board. Looks like a great collection of parts to start with.

I'm curious, did you import the frame and parts or find them in NZ? I haven't seen many old bikes like that around myself, but you seem to have quite a collection going by the frames hanging in the background of the second photo... perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

Alexandra is one of the most beautiful parts of the country, but it must be getting cold down there now. I'm at the top of the N.I. and it's quite nippy up here even.

You might like to add your location marker to the Build Off Ten Builders Map. Here is the Participant Location Map thread...

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/build-off-ten-participant-location-map.91992/

Enjoy the build off.

Glen.
Glen: I'm actually not a Kiwi, just an honorary one for now. I imported a bunch of frames, bikes and parts over in a container when I moved. I have many bikes here! Take a look at the website when you get a chance! Hellcatcycles.com Cheers!

Great bike bits to build with! Your website is filled with great bikes and I love the photos! All your bikes are really geared down - quite a lot of hills there?

Glen: I'm actually not a Kiwi, just an honorary one for now. I imported a bunch of frames, bikes and parts over in a container when I moved. I have many bikes here! Take a look at the website when you get a chance! Hellcatcycles.com Cheers!

That's cool... it's still being built in New Zealand so adds to the NZ tally :D

Your website is cool and a great business. After moving up here to Kerikeri from Christchurch, I actually considered doing a bike rental thing myself... doing it with vintage (or custom) bikes is a great idea. I'm still out of work so perhaps I'll investigate that further :39:

Cheers Kev, and good luck with the build.

Glen.

Great bike bits to build with! Your website is filled with great bikes and I love the photos! All your bikes are really geared down - quite a lot of hills there?
Not many hills, just a lot of punters! The final drive is a 25-14 so less than 2:1. The micro drive makes it look lower than it is. I've found with those 5 speed hubs, the range is soooo wide you never run out of gears! And I wanted to make sure they were easily pedal-able for people who don't normally ride bikes. I aim mostly at the non-cyclist. Cheers!

Looks like you have a good stack of parts , but just too point out
that is not a pre war frame...

~Rafael~

I looked at the rental bikes on your site and they are all very cool. I love the colours you've chosen, especially on Thunderbolt. I like the Grey/Yellow combination and used it on a bike (called Goose) a few years ago…

What's the 5-speed hub you use on those bikes?

Glen.

Awesome start, what a great array of parts to build up. What tires are those BTW?

I looked at the rental bikes on your site and they are all very cool. I love the colours you've chosen, especially on Thunderbolt. I like the Grey/Yellow combination and used it on a bike (called Goose) a few years ago…
Yeah! That's sweet. I use Sturmey Archer hubs for geared options. They have been flawless.

What's the 5-speed hub you use on those bikes?

Glen.

Awesome start, what a great array of parts to build up. What tires are those BTW?
Tyres are old Ritchey Moby Bites. They've been used to do massive slides in Portland on leafy streets and many, many miles of commuting. Thought that a full slick that absorbed glossy silicone spray would be a good way to go for a show bike.

Great collection of parts!

Cool, you gotta show a video once you get that linkage working.

Latest posts

Back