Red Velvet by Hellcat Cycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soooooooo. Really wanted to sus out a way of using the fork mounted Scwhinn shifter to operate the generator linkage but am now thinking that trying to control a rigid linkage via a cable actuated lever that has to turn with the bars is not going to work out. The new plan is to use the same style shifter but mounted to the frame. Should have just gone down this route to begin with!

Soooooooo. Really wanted to sus out a way of using the fork mounted Scwhinn shifter to operate the generator linkage but am now thinking that trying to control a rigid linkage via a cable actuated lever that has to turn with the bars is not going to work out. The new plan is to use the same style shifter but mounted to the frame. Should have just gone down this route to begin with!

Live and learn. If you hadn't've tried, you wouldn't've known.

Glen.

Finished the generator linkage mounts today! Three needed in total. Also sussed out an alternative lever for engaging/disengaging. And as requested, a video of the linkage in action. I'll post a more thorough vid when the lever is attached, really just happy that the whole thing works!

Here's the original lever that was to be mounted atop the headset...

Here's the lever that will be mounted to the frame via a similar clamp to the gen mounts. It will rotate on a sealed bearing which will be press fit into the billet mount.

Vid of linkage in action
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pM_afos74po" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome build, welcome to the madness :banana::crazy::dance2:

Cool work on that linkage. Those machined guides are massive!
For some reason you video link was a bit garbled in your post.
Here it it

Cheers fellas (fellettes?) Still a helluva lot to do. Aiming to have all the fab work done and have a rough roller by the end of the month before it gets blasted and sprayed. Ill be taking advantage of every last day before the deadline.

One of my least favourite things to do is body work, but it had to happen. Welded and moulded mounts for the chain guide, also filled a few holes and dents. Nearly ready for blasting and some colour. Keen observers will notice an absence of a slot to allow seat tube compression to secure the seat post, fear not, I have a plan.

Pretty stuffed looking, which is why it's going away! The copper acts as a cooling piece and to prevent any welding rod from going into the seat tube.

For those of you who do this for a living, I apologize for the atrocity here, my strengths lie elsewhere.

Feeling better about the progress but still much to do...

Started machining the jockey lever that will be the on/off switch for the dynamo. Need to get creative for the hole the bearing is supposed to press fit into as I don't have a 22mm end mill or reamer and my boring bar is a bit big. I'm dreading a setup on the rotary table to accomplish this but it may be the only option. .....

25mm 6061 round stock

Can't wait to see how this turns out

Nice body work.
I'm digging the big shifter.
Somehow I must have missed the machined headset bearing cups!!!!!! NICE!!

More progress on the jockey lever. Boring bar ended up working out beautifully, it's so nice having the proper tools for the job at hand.

Need to bore the hole out by .08"

Monster boring bar

Super duper accuracy down to .01mm

The right tools for the job

A 'boring' operation

The bearing fits! And here's my smug face

Frame mount

I didn't sneeze, its a weld. Gotta be careful when MIG welding on these old frames so as not to burn through.

Bit of bondo and you'll never notice

Lever mounted

Happy with how this is turning out. The big achievement of course will be when it's all hooked up. Til next time!

Nice machining work

Man this is one sweet build:thumbsup: I'm unashamedly drooling over your machine work. I seriously need a lathe in my life:D

Cheers. I became spoiled at the machine shop I used to work so I may have gone a bit overboard when I set up my own shop here. I probably could have gotten away with a benchtop lathe but had the funds so went for it. A much smaller lathe, and even a burly drillpress that you can do light horizontal milling on, and a good 110v mig welder allow you so much freedom to bring whatever is floating around in your head to come to life. I can't wait to see how this bike comes out.

Had to get moving on this little bit. The missing link. This gem of a piece connects the jockey lever to the brass rod that activates the generator. With no drawings at all to go by and just an idea of what I knew it needed to do, here it is.

Yes, it works and I sincerely apologize for the Giant in the background being the only thing in focus.

Now, to make the whole thing pretty.

Latest posts

Back