RED ZEPPELIN

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Well, I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring... I haven't made any specific plans yet, but here's what I've got to start with:

a red circa 1937 Wards Hawthorne "Zep" style sport/fastback frame

Awesome starting place.
Good luck

Thanks, guys. The Zep is one of my all time favorite vintage balloon tire bike frames. It appears to have fairly modern geometry for a 75 year old design... weighs over 8 lbs, though :shock:

I got the head badge off with no damage (although the screws crumbled), removed the bearing cups, the chain adjusting bolts and the seat post clamp bolt - ready to strip down for a repaint

way cool frame can't wait to see what you do with it

Troy

got these aluminum handlebars heading my way...

bild.php

I hadn't noticed before, but the upper half of the non-drive side dropout on this frame was in rough shape... it's been chewed up by a loose axle at some point in the past

My neighbor who is a welder was kind enough to repair it for me - he welded in a small strip of steel to restore the original shape of the dropout and to prevent future damage

Awesome frame - Awesome name! What color is it going to be??? :lol: :lol:

Worked on the head badge today... here's what I started with - many years of build up, probably multiple paint jobs

After removing the top layer(s) of old red paint with Citristrip, I had to use aircraft stripper and a green scrubby pad a few times on the really stubborn stuff - then I cleaned it up a bit with Nevr-Dull wadding. I think I will leave it this way - I like the polished aluminum look

Things have been super busy for me the past couple of weeks, but I was finally able make some more progress today.... I got the frame sandblasted this morning

I was going to do a chemical strip at home, but decided not to (we have chickens and other animals I was concerned might somehow be exposed to the toxins)

Latest posts

Back