Redux-Finished... gift for a friend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first build from an old vintage bike was call "red headed step child" and it pretty much sucked and was a fail. The paint would literally jump off if you tapped it to hard, the bearings were all jacked up because I couldn't find the right ones and so on... it quickly became a lesson on what not to do when building a bike.
DSC_1217.jpg

Now that I know a little more I am doing a redux based on some lines from a Stones song (I see a red door and i want to paint it black)... Since all of my bikes are black, I thought that this one should be black to. So it was time for super happy fun paint stripping, primer and sanding. This time I used some self etching primer I picked up at NAPA and it made all the difference in the world, just amazing!
IMG_0020.jpg

and now a nice satin finish
DSC_0006-3.jpg

More to come...

Re: I see a red bike and I want to paint it black

WATCHING!

Re: I see a red bike and I want to paint it black

Very cool! :D I'll also be watching this build :mrgreen:

Re: Redux (formally I see a red bike bike...)

Week two...

I decided to let the paint cure for a week without touching it, one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life, now I can get the frame good and greasy and not loose sleep over it.

I hunted for some headset parts that would actually be in tolerance at some local recycled/community shops... after searching all over Stumptown it was fruitful. Lo and behold a roller (almost). Even though it it is a mid 50's Higgins I decided to go with a Rollfast badge cause it looked cooler and was burning a hole in one of my parts drawers.

Best of all... minus the $5.00 for the headset parts this puppy has been made from parts I have had laying around... WINNING

DSC_0023-2.jpg

DSC_0021-1.jpg

DSC_0017-2.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

NOW FOR THE FUN PART!
I am preparing to create a wood steamer to bend me up some White Ash for some fenders... stay tuned for amateur failure experiences in wood work part one

DSC_0027-1.jpg

Looking good! There's just something about black bikes, I'm a sucker for them too! i noticed you're putting on some hank slicks, how do you like them? It must ride smooth as silk! looking forward to see your wood fenders, think happy thoughts!

Looking good!
Makes me want to do a flat black build too :mrgreen:

Looking forward to seeing how the fenders turn out!
Love those tires. What model/size are those bontragers?

OK, Time to catch up...
Step 1. Build a steamer
DSC_0099.jpg

Step 2. Build jig (talk about a time vacuum)
DSC_0101.jpg

Step 3. Steam at 220° till done
DSC_0103.jpg

Step 4. Bend some Ash
DSC_0108.jpg

Step 5. Wonder if all the work was worth while...
I plan on adding some aluminum support as an accent and I'm definitely going to stain it a darker color and give it a nice lacquer finish... stay tuned for more.
DSC_0006-4.jpg

DSC_0003-3.jpg

DSC_0001-6.jpg

Oh BTW Fish...The RAGERS were some 26 x 2.2 Frank slicks (my fave urban assault tire)... This bike is going to be a gift to a good friend of mine and slicks have a tendency to FREAK people out so they have been changed to 26 x 2.0 H2 semi slicks, that way you can fool them into thinking they have a tread :wink:

You want to check out some wicked slick take a look at these ragers... http://bontrager.com/model/09094

That bike is ultimately sick! :!: Mucho gracias for the detailed pics. I don't usually drool unless I'm asleep but I'm wide awake now :mrgreen:

The fender has been sanded and stained and now I am starting step one of a 9 day 9 part process of varnish sand varnish. Since we live in the Pacific Northwest it typically rains from September to June I'd thought it would be good to get this water tight. Im using Epifanes a real spar varnish that was recommended to me while restoring or 1950's wooden canoe.

Also shown it the aluminum rib that I'm going to attach to the fender for support.
DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0007-5.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0004-3.jpg

Re: Redux- wood work

nice job. that varnish carries its own headaches. literally. keep the doors and windows open. thinner is even worse.

Q: the bike in back in picture #3. is that a tank between the seat post & rear tire? if so, how/ what/ why? i have become obsessed with bike-bodywork.

thanks

Looks great. The only thing I would have suggested was to eschew the steam box and use a bending iron the way that luthiers bend the sides of guitars and voilin family instruments. You can bend to the exact shape you want without the spring back that comes from steaming and clamping into a form.

They can be as simple as an aluminum tube with a halogen light bulb inside. A spray bottle of water and some gloves is all it takes. I have bent everything from ebony and rosewood to 1/4" plywood with this method. Takes a matter of minutes to do.

a sample piece of 1/8" plywood after 15 seconds
dash1.jpg

southpier said:
nice job. that varnish carries its own headaches. literally. keep the doors and windows open. thinner is even worse.

Q: the bike in back in picture #3. is that a tank between the seat post & rear tire? if so, how/ what/ why? i have become obsessed with bike-bodywork.

thanks

the bike in question I belive is the FRIGHTLINER it was part of build off . Sweet bike and ditto to liking that rear "tank"

OK....

Scotty, the guy I'm building this for, was kinda hesitant about the concept of fender in Oregon. He felt like the rain and weather would end up warping them. On top of that, they ended up looking flat out weird, so they are history. Had to make some brackets to hold the chain guard, fenders and to extend the steer tube...
IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

The big question is tank or no tank... Here is the tank insert I cut from ash with a brushed aluminum accent. Not sure I am keeping it or not, if so I think I'm going to hit it with an ebony stain.
IMG_0260.jpg

Re: Redux- Finished

Scotty... the person that I am going to give this bike to only had one request... a rear rack. Today I added a Wald rack with wood. I created a bracket to hold it in place and to give it more flair that the stock hunk of metal that came with it and did not fit...
b148cbce.jpg

341e2828.jpg

The front fender stays were proving to be a bit problematic, I could not get a got fit. I cut a longer pair down, bent them and threaded them. Not they are solid. I also added a support under the top of the fender to keep the light from wobbling around.
c81cf768.jpg

IMG_0260-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back