...remove coating from alloy wheels?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a couple of araya alloy rims that need refinishing, but sanding off the coating is not working very well. what will take the coating off? tarnishing the aluminum is not a huge deal as I can sand and polish it out.

Thanks,
SP

dont know if it's clear or annodizing, but Ill give the oven cleaner a shot. never had good luck with the dollar store stuff, so Ill try name brand this time.

so easy off brand heavy duty oven cleaner works. one wheel I had already sanded on a bit and one was not. sprayed both and the one that had been sanded the coating came 99% off. the unsanded wheel got really clean but no coating was removed. I scuffed it with a red 3m scotch brite pad and sprayed it again, and about 95% of the coating came off. I let it sit for maybe 20 minutes before scrubbing the dried oven cleaner off the wheels. I recommend anyone trying to do this to get some chemical gloves (handy to have around anyways) and use a scrubby sponge to clean off the oven cleaner. it doesnt just rinse off, it needs to be scrubbed

Yep the Draino drain cleaner will remove the anodizing. If your trying to remove the clear
then try MEK its pretty strong and will usually take off most clear coats

I've got this issue right now.

Tried the Easy Off. Didn't work.

tried Drain-O. Didn't do much.

Finally tried to wire wheel it off, which worked, but it also roughed up the rim quite a bit. I finally just painted it silver to match the other.

You have to buy the Drain-o Crystals and then put quiet a bit in the water.
I had some aluminum tubing that had anodizing on them. Soaked them for
about 20 minutes and then wiped them off and polished them. Came out good.
If you have a problem with scratches and its aluminum, wet sand it with 1000 and then polish.
DSCF0002-48.jpg

Finished product
DSCF0001-62.jpg

Latest posts

Back