REMOVING PINK COLOR FROM BRASS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
REMOVING PINK COLOR FROM BRASS

Brass is a combination of copper and zinc. The pink color comes when there is more copper than zinc.
To tell you the truth the pink patina has never bothered me before. I have restored a few brass badges and a lot of them had that pink color after I had cleaned all the dirt off. But if you don’t like the pink color this is how to remove it. I ran a few experiments and noticed that on a few badges the pink didn't go away after cleaning with steel wool. I tried everything, ketchup, tabasco sauce, vinegar with salt, baking soda, brasso etc. and none work. I finally ran a test with this product called Tarn-X that I bought at home depot.
1.jpg

The instructions clearly states that it’s not supposed to be used in brass and that nothing should be submerged in the solution for more than 2 minutes. Well I discarded the instructions completely.
1. I filled a 10oz clear plastic cup with this solution.

2. I submerged a badge and kept looking at it from time to time.

3. The one I did took 2 and half hour inside the solution.

4. Removed and washed with water then dried with a clean rag (my T-shirt)

5. The brass will be very dull and might have small pink areas.

6. Clean with steel wool and it will remove the rest of the pink area. If not deep it again in the solution.

I didn't get a very good shine shining it by hand. I got a nice shine using blue magic and my dremel.

metalpolishcream.jpg

You can dip two badges in the cup just make sure they are back to back.

2.jpg

3.jpg

2 and a half hour later.
4.jpg

i did make it flat again since its easier to clean

steel wool cleaned
5.jpg

polished with dremel
6.jpg

Looks like it worked. Brass is funny stuff. There are many combinations of metals that will make "brass". Copper and zinc like you mentioned, plus tin and lead. Varying amounts of these will make different types of brass. I worked in a machine shop and we machined a lot of yellow brass (soft stuff), red brass (hard stuff), and naval brass (low zinc content so it won't corrode in a salt environment) So what I'm saying is your method might get different results on different types of brass. You are fast becoming our badge expert. 8) Carry on! Gary

Just to get a sense of what different brass looks like, isnt that red brass what is used for those 'bushings' found in the hardware store bins for lawnmower wheels and such?

brass will always go back an go thru the process of oxidation. if you want to keep the brass shiny for a longer period of time all you have to do is shoot it with a spray can of clear.

cocacolaandpepsicolabadge.jpg

i have manage to get the best result by placing the badge and the can outside on the sun for 15 or 20 minutes to equal out the temperature. do light coats every 5 minutes until desired look. going crazy with the clear will make it look white so don't over do it. make sure to handle the badge with a rag before giving it the clear coat so your natural hand oil and fingerprints don't get stuck underneath the clear coat

Axe,
First and foremost.....nice work! Those Coca Cola HBs are the bomb...if people still use that term. The "pink" as you describe it is what I've been talking about on some of my brass pieces. I thought that somehow, the copper in solution was plating itself onto the brass piece. I'll give Tarnex a try...where did you get the "Blue Magic"??

Flyer

You can get blue magic pretty much anywhere around here. Local bakery, gas station, auto parts store etc. You might be able to find it in pepboys, hoe depot or ebay!

Off to the local bakery :mrgreen:

Blue Magic polishes all metal surfaces including coated or lacquered metals, chrome or alloy wheels, factory coated or even plastic. Great on brass, copper, sterling silver, aluminum, stainless steel, or gold. Non abrasive and also recommended for plastic and fiberglass. Process leaves a sealant which bonds to the surface. Can be used with high speed buffers and polishers.

Works great on chrome rims.

Latest posts

Back