Repaint or Dip a Bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I want to repaint my Townie. If I could just peal off the decals I probably would be satisfied, but they are under the clear coat. Maybe find something close to the original color. Then again, as I keep taking it down the hot rod bobber path, I think it needs to be a darker color. Perhaps a Navy blue if not going all the way to black. Probably a satin finish too.
The bike is a 2008 with first generation headset and second generation frame. I guess '08 was the only year like this. Could there be more value in that if I don't repaint it? Like if I ever sold the bike? So now I am wondering about Plasti-Dip, like they do on cars and wheels and such.
Anybody ever "dip" a bike? Or would I better just using regular spray paint and let the next person worry about taking it back to the original paint?

Thanks,
Andy
IMG_20190615_171735.jpg

What if you left the front end that color blue, and then navy blue for the rest of the bike with old school darts seperating the 2 colors starting just in front of the townie decal? You could even 2 tone that chainguard where it's stepped.
Where I come from they don't seem to fetch much in resale value, so if it was mine I wouldn't worry about original. Never tried plastidip myself

What if you left the front end that color blue, and then navy blue for the rest of the bike with old school darts seperating the 2 colors starting just in front of the townie decal? You could even 2 tone that chainguard where it's stepped.
Where I come from they don't seem to fetch much in resale value, so if it was mine I wouldn't worry about original. Never tried plastidip myself
2-tone blue? Hmmmm.... Interesting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Best of both worlds :) ...that is a nice shade of og blue. Then to paint you'd only have to tape off and scuff up the rear of the bike.
Now I'm starting to think 2 tone blue for one of my own bikes lol

Look at Google images for 2009 Ford color called Dark Ink Blue Metallic.

My experience has been that I just can't outdo an original factory finish. I always think twice about changing colors. I don't see a darn thing wrong with your factory color.

My experience has been that I just can't outdo an original factory finish. I always think twice about changing colors. I don't see a darn thing wrong with your factory color.
Right, I agree about factory paint, and I do really like the color, I just want to get rid of the graphics. The big "Townie" on each side of the down tube especially bugs me for some reason. Since they are not removable I am contemplating new paint. The two-tone idea would cover the offending lettering while still having some of the original paint showing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fight stickers with stickers? Hmmmmm.....

I thought about changing the fork, but with that mile high head tube there probably isn't too much that will fit but other Townie forks, unless I take out a second mortgage on the house.

Latest posts

Back