replace fork steer tube

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i have a real nice old 26" chrome wald straight fork i bought a while ago. was supposed to be NOS. i didnt notice until i mocked up my worksman that someone cut it down. its way short for any 26" frame i have. so i need to extend it. i have a fork i can cut one off. this and the fork im looking at cutting from, have a similar size thick wall tube inside that extends up above the crown race, welded at the bottom. anyone know how tight they fit? can i cut down low above the crown race, around the steer tube and pull it off of the inner sleeve? bevel, slip the new one on that sleeve, and weld it?

i have a real nice old 26" chrome wald straight fork i bought a while ago. was supposed to be NOS. i didnt notice until i mocked up my worksman that someone cut it down. its way short for any 26" frame i have. so i need to extend it. i have a fork i can cut one off. this and the fork im looking at cutting from, have a similar size thick wall tube inside that extends up above the crown race, welded at the bottom. anyone know how tight they fit? can i cut down low above the crown race, around the steer tube and pull it off of the inner sleeve? bevel, slip the new one on that sleeve, and weld it?
I have done it on a few forks and been happy with it. Will it just be a cruiser or will you be doing high speeds with it? If it is of no use to you as is you may as well try it.

I think what James is saying is, the Wald fork has a smaller diameter tube jammed inside the steerer, and he's wondering if he can just cut off the outer (1") steerer and put the new steerer in its place....

I think I'd be tempted to keep the crown race intact, and cut higher up. If my memory serves me right, the Wald forks have an integrated crown race, rather than a press-fit seat for one. In either case, I think if you cut higher up, you can still build it strong but save some hassle.

I wouldn't cut low, considering it's a stress point. If you ran into something, there's where it's likely to fail. I'd go center of the head tube. -Adam

Latest posts

Back