Replacement 700c/29er tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
My Mongoose Stat project came with 700c50 or 29x1.95 rubber.
Looking for a less knobby more street friendly tire.
I would like a tire as fat or maybe slightly fatter and I would like to reuse the existing tubes.
I'm looking at the following in the $15 - $ 22 per each price range.
Continental Retro Ride 700 x 55C Brown
Continental Retro Ride 700 x 50C Brown

SUNLITE KAHN TIRE - 700 X 50, BLACK, K935
Panaracer Tour Clincher Tire, 700x42, Wire, Black
Sunlite Komfort Tire - 700 x 40, Black, K841A

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

An enthusiastic review on amazon with user pics has me interested in them.
Sunlite Kahn Tire - 700 x 50, Black, K935.jpg

The reviewer says he was looking for a tire that was easy rolling and wide enough for his 29 er. I may buy these his pic makes them look cool.

I love the Fat Franks, which come in a few colors in the 29x2.0" flavor, but they're a bit pricey... Also, if your stays will fit a 2.5, the maxxis hookworm 29" is a killer tire.... also look into the maxxis torch 29x2.1" if clearance is limited.

Whatever you do, i'd reconsider going the 42c or 40c route; it'd look pretty anged skinny on that bike....unless, of course, skinny is the look you're going for....

Thanks for input guys! @808 the skinny tire look is not for me!
Excerpt amazon of review By Ryan on April 22, 2015
"I got a 29er mountain bike... My riding consist of roads and sometimes grass when I need to make room for cars to pass safely and the knobby tires that come standard on mountain bikes was really slowing me down and aren't suited for traveling on the road they grip way to much and the knobs get wore off, they are meant for trails. I put up with it until my rear tire was so wore down that I was afraid Id expose the tube, that's where this tire comes in.
I knew I didn't want to get another mountain bike tire since I ride on roads, I wanted a tire that had treads meant for my needs. Finding these kinda tires wasn't easy though. 29er mountain bike tires are every where from expensive to cheap with many options, but a more road style tire that fits on a 29er width and diameter wise was hard to come by... I passed these tires up a few times because the official picture here does not do them justice, you can barely see the tread patterns and honestly official picture makes them seem ugly,
60712__18367.1403893592.1280.1280.jpg

but that's not the case once you see them in person up close... Uploaded picture to show how these tires really look.

I finally decided to give this tire a shot, its price was right cheaper then the others I was thinking of getting and the 700x50c fits my 29er not only diameter wise but also width (hardest part to match is the width). Once I got them I put them onto my rims was easy enough and I was impressed. The middle of the tire isn't knobby its smooth to make riding on roads easier, while the outsides have some knobs for gripping but it shouldn't get in the way of road riding since its only on the sides. I would recommend any who like myself wanted to get some road like tires that will fit diameter and width wise on their 29er mountain bikes to check these out."
Not too much room for anything wider than stock on this frame.:(

Attachments

• DSCF1586.JPG
    DSCF1586.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 226
I love the Fat Franks, which come in a few colors in the 29x2.0" flavor, but they're a bit pricey... Also, if your stays will fit a 2.5, the maxxis hookworm 29" is a killer tire.... also look into the maxxis torch 29x2.1" if clearance is limited.

Whatever you do, i'd reconsider going the 42c or 40c route; it'd look pretty anged skinny on that bike....unless, of course, skinny is the look you're going for....

I have 50c brown Retro Rides on my Colson- more chocolate than brown. I would have preferred them in black but they were only available in 55c. I have't ridden them a lot but really like them. They are a very close fit in the frame and fender.
WIN_20160506_09_11_58_Pro.jpg

@ferdy, Those do do look nice. Your wheels probably more narrow than mine. Would you post a measurement of your dimension inside your fork? I can see it's close to the inflated tire. It would help judge if it would fit my frame.

@ferdy, Those do do look nice. Your wheels probably more narrow than mine. Would you post a measurement of your dimension inside your fork? I can see it's close to the inflated tire. It would help judge if it would fit my frame.
Just over 2inches- perhaps 2 and a sixteenth- don't tell anyone but those wheels are from a Huffy Premier....

Back