Replacing wedge on a Schwinn gooseneck stem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I know Schwinn did a lot of weird propeitary things back in the day, so I wanted to make sure before I go ordering anything.

Somehow, despite being the most used bike in our stable, I'd never overhauled the headset on my wife's main commuter - up until now. Looks like the previous owner must've over-torqued the stem because part of the wedge is chipped off. Apparently it's still functional - it's gotten the job done the last three years - but I'd rather replace it now before it's an issue.

IMG_20160401_171056788.jpg

IMG_20160401_172813436.jpg

So ... is there anything special I need to look for while digging on Ebay for a replacement? The threading is 24tpi.

Thanks!

Edit: For clarification this is a gooseneck stem (22.2mm diameter insertion) that appears to have been stock on a 60's Schwinn Co-ed.

Last edited:
I never even checked, but most of the new offerings will be metric, except Wald but the wald "wedge" is a weird bit that won't align with the stem's quill.... i'm hit up ebay, or post a wanted ad on here.... best move would be to get an actual Schwinn piece, from a stem old enough to be true 7/8" (22.2mm) rather than 21.1.

Latest posts

Back