Repop parts...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been wondering if anyone has every tried to make silicone molds of parts, and then cast them in some material and then refinish them to look like the real deal? I know the purists out there shun repop anything, but I'm thinking how nice it would be to have a Monark front fender light (the one that looks like a train) instead of a hole in the fender where it goes. I realize that it wouldn't be economical to mass produce these, the market for certain parts is quite small. But just like the Monark springers, and Schwinn springers, I think there would be interest. Thoughts??? Oh, and if you have a small part you'd consider loaning for an experiment, let me know...I'm thinking rear reflector housing...again, Monark comes to mind. Thanks

I make all manner of odd parts from plastic for old boats. cheap chrome spray paint looks almost dead on for oxidized aluminum.. the transom corners on my old sea king are painted polycarb, and half of the shift lever housing is fiberglass. :roll:

please do share details on how this is done. i know people that can duplicate tanks on fiberglass. you mentioned the monark trainlight but that one shows up more often than the monark pedestal light which is older. i wouldnt mind a repop pedestal light at all! also the rollfast long tank comes to mind. i've tried to get my hands on one to make a copy in fiberglass but cant see to get anybody to lend me one!

this project has some future

DIY reproductions - very interesting. I hope the juices continue to flow. Latex molds. cast resin, fiberglass, vacu-form, there are lots of possibilities.

Oven baked clay, cast pewter, cast resin lenses. There are lot's of possibilities. Great winter projects here. :D :) :D

well.....why not go old school and leave the resins/fiberglass/etc for kit cars and corvettes.....sand casting would be the way to go(although it may take some practice and research to do it) if you want a nice looking product at the end...not bagging on the non metals but you cant polish resins...

Latest posts

Back