Representing Ct.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. For the past few years I've been strictly a motorsickle man, but I rediscovered cycling at the begining of the year. My motorsickles are an 83' rigid framed, dual plugged, hotrod sportster. I built the gas tank, a hidden front brake master cylinder thats stashed under the gas tank and is actuated with a panhead clutch cable/lever and custom bellarm. the gas tank is on a hinge und tips up like a funny car body.
I also built the forward controls, exhaust, seat and numerous other goodies. I've also got a 79" FL project in the works.
For bicycles newest to oldest are: 07' specialized hard rock MTB, 85 raleigh gran prix (my road bike), 70's huffy tandem that my 7 year old son and I saw at a tag sale while pickin' up a pizza one night. It was complete but covered with a thick coat latex paint and rust. all the spokes were real loose the rear hub was nearly seized, hand brakes were shot and the chain guard had broken brackets.
Its since been dissassembled, stripped of all paint and spray bombed Rustolem gloss navy blue. I derusted the wheels and bars, rebuilt the hubs welded the chain guard and tightened the spokes. also bought some nice white wall tires for $14 a piece. I'm just about to rreassemble her with my son. What better way to start his wet his ears than with a ratrod tandem. I may also put some tall apes in front to taper the look. If his feet dont reach the pedals I may put on highway pegs for him. He's asked for a passengers aahhoooogga horn. cool kid. Can I enter this in the build even if I've already started it? I started it while on doctor prescribed medication (mmmm...percocet..) 3 days after carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand, if that counts for any thing.
Then there's my 56' schwinn 26". I'm not sure what model it is but I picked it up for $60 on craigslist. It came with the light, bell and rack. I regularly take it on 12 mi. trips on the airline trail ( an old railroad bed now a crushed stone bicycle trail ) which actually crosses my road. I love it. I swapped out the original wheels for a cheap set of columbians I rebuilt the hubs on. Its always covered in trail dust and I just can't do that to them old schwinn wheels.
Finally I just picked up a 46' ( so I was told) higgins for $10 on ebay. gotta love them local pickup auctions when there close to you. When I won, looking at only the pics, I thought it was covered with rust, but its really the original faded marroon paint. Rims look ok but the spokes are shot so I get to relace my first wheel. never tried it in all my years of motorsickle work, suprisingly. If anyone Knows how to positively Id This bikes year, that would be Kool. But either way I,m still keepin it. there's a tag with a number on the seat post, if that helps. I'm definitely entering this one. If it qualifys, that is. let me know.
Very Kool site you got here. Glad I found it. If anyone's goin to the custom bicycle ride in new london, reply and maybe I'll see you there.
Well I'll shut up now. It's time for bed.
Good night.

Latest posts

Back