restoring metal flake seat cover

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Messinger metal flake seat that has a lot of discoloration from probably being in the sun, I've washed it heavily with dawn and water, simple green, treated it with 303 protectant as well. since the vinyl was formed over the seat and can't be removed, I've already cleaned all the rust off the exposed metal and was prepping it to repaint. During the prep, i tested part of the underside with acetone, it cleaned the stubborn rust spots off the vinyl. although it left the material feeling sticky. I retreated it with the 303 and it seems OK now. Has anyone tried cleaning a whole seat with it? Or does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the the rest of the damage? I know the seat is pretty faded, but if i can get some sparkle back that would be rad.
seat top.jpg
seat bottom.jpg

I never tried it, but there's a rust remover called Whink that is supposed to be safe for all kinds of surfaces.

Did you try white spirit? It is the thing i ususally use before acetone. Acetone is indeed too agressive for vinyl and for sure would cause some damage. Using a 303 or silicone spray afterwards is a very good idea too.
But if i were you i wouldn't give up on trying to remove the cover first of all. I have a similarly produced Persons seat, and the cover actually has just enough stretch to take it off. If yours is not stiffened too much over the years, maybe you can stretch the rear side a little so the pan can slip out of the rear hole.

no, I haven't tried that. But while i may be able to get the cover off, replacing it would be impossible. Upon closer inspection, the clear coat on the flake is pretty much gone, so its impregnated into the flake itself up on the top. Hard scrubbing will pull flake off, after talking to some of my vintage auto guys, the acetone while aggressive will be ok, as long as its flushed with water, not allowed to pool anywhere, and the vinyl is retreated with 303 immediately afterwards. Although not recommended for stuff that the clear coat is already gone from. The seat was not that expensive considering the sun damage to it, so i'll leave it as is. the pan and brackets on the underside have been cleaned up and repainted back to the matte black. Ive never seen a metal flake seat cover by itself being sold as a kit for reupholstery, so depending on how far I go with this bike, I may try and find a NOS seat in the future.

Latest posts

Back