Retroped (was HEALING) - WBO 2018

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want you could make one of those tanks very easy,all it is,is metal bent over/shaped over a top tube and then trimmed to desired shaped with a couple of holes...

Picked up some more ‘donor’ bikes...

006_Donor.jpg

007_Raleigh.jpg

008_Raleigh20.jpg

The ladies Raleigh bike most likely won’t be donating any parts but the Raleigh 20 might give up it’s saddle, coaster brake wheel and bottom bracket parts.

The red one’s seat post will probably be cut out to use on the Healing frame... somewhere. :39:

A couple of sprockets for the retro-direct drive arrived too...

009_Sprockets.jpg

I think I’m almost ready to start :nod:

Glen.

I've been slack, but done a wee bit.

Tested the fitment of the retro-drive sprockets...

010_Sprockets.jpg

Big sprocket screws on, then the adjustable cup from the wee girls bike's bottom bracket screws into the big sprocket, then the small sprocket screws onto the adjustable cup.

Primered the frame...

011_Frame.jpg

Fitted the tyres to the wheels...

012_Wheels.jpg

So I decided to not modify this frame and just do it 'normal'... for now.

Not sure on final colour. I've got some silver and some dark green. :39:

Glen.

I've been slack, but done a wee bit...

Not sure on final colour. I've got some silver and some dark green. :39:

Glen.
Two tone! Wanna get real different?
Left side - right side color change.

Come on Glen, clock's a tickin'...

Carl.

Last edited:
Cool. :thumbsup:

I think the wee girls bike I got had a removable top tube originally too because there's a small hole near the head tube that might have been a locator hole for such a piece. I might have to research it and see if I can discover the make of it.

If it’s a Canadian made bike, CCM had the Swinger that had a removable/adjustable top bar...
16f47b89779513a2ce4d230066297ad3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two tone! Wanna get real different?
Left side - right side color change.

Come on Glen, clock's a tickin'...

Carl.

Not a bad idea, kinda like the Arlen Ness Harley called Half & Half.

But it's painted green for now...

013_Frame.jpg

Getting there slowly... as usual.:blush:

Glen.

If it’s a Canadian made bike, CCM had the Swinger that had a removable/adjustable top bar...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I researched the wee girls bike and it's a Rapido Super Deluxe from the Czech Republic. Found a few photos of it including one here on the RRB forum...

Rapido_Red.png

Rapido_Blue.JPG

Rapido_GreenSeat.jpg

I'll be doing that bike later in the year for my Great-Great-Niece.

Glen.

OK, so I have this issue where I suddenly, and for no apparent reason, loose interest in things. It’s happened again and I think I’m pretty much done with this build that I now call Retroped…

017_RetropedLogo.png

Here’s where it’s at now…

014_AlmostDone.jpg

015_AlmostDone.jpg

016_RetroDrive.jpg

I’ll see if I can get a brief ride video, because it does indeed work.

I doubt that my other WBO build, Quadruped, will even get started let alone finished before the WBO end. :(

Glen.

Here's a short ride video showing the backwards pedalling...

I had the chain on the big (52T) chainring and it was a bit tough to get rolling up the drive in low (backwards pedal) gear. I've since removed a few links and put the chain on the small (40T) chainring and it's a lot better. :thumbsup:

I'm calling it a success, but it could be done much better. I think I'll be doing it again at some point, but on a stretched framed bike so the chain is longer and more flexible. I'd like to use both chainrings so low gear is on the 40T/24T combo and high is on the 52T/16T combo. This would require another idler sprocket to take the chain from one chainring to the other... I think :39:

I'm not really that up on gear inches, but using an online calculator shows my current configuration as being 45.3 gear inches for low and 67.5 gear inches for high. :crazy2:

Glen.

Cool video.

Looks like it could take some getting used to... Is it as awkward as it seems to pedal it backwards?

Not so much 'awkward', but weird feeling :crazy:

I saw a video on youtube of a 'backwards brain bike' where the steering is reversed and is hard to ride. That, coupled with retro-direct pedaling, would be nigh on impossible I reckon o_O

Glen.

The bike looks great.
Love the video, it really is strange to see you pedal backwards but moving forward.

So, is this a set up that works only in the extreme southern hemisphere? In the extreme northern hemi , if you pedal this forward, does the bike travel backwards? **Insert laughing emoji here**

So, is this a set up that works only in the extreme southern hemisphere? In the extreme northern hemi , if you pedal this forward, does the bike travel backwards? **Insert laughing emoji here**

So, are you admitting that everything in the Northern Hemisphere is backwards and down here is 'normal'... because I'd certainly never suggest that... **insert multiple shocked, embarrassed and other appropriate emojis here**

Glen.

The emojis are goji so we have to insert our own now. :D

Latest posts

Back