Retrospec Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They used to go for far more.

In 1995 I bought a Schwinn MoabS, it started my bike addiction problem. Then the Gary Fisher Klunker came out around a year later, it became my holy grail bike for a couple years, except the price kept me away. Then we went to a artsy bicycle show and was I hooked on these old rusty bikes, new bikes, most any bike with uniqueness. Older became better. Probably need to find a “rat rod bikes anonymous” group.
Still have the old MoabS hanging in the garage with a lot of miles, many, many gravel miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those Schwinn Moab are pretty... Mother Of All Bikes? I can't remember. Did they ever get the "bassboat" paint like the Homegrown series?

Those Schwinn Moab are pretty... Mother Of All Bikes? I can't remember. Did they ever get the "bassboat" paint like the Homegrown series?

I don’t remember the Moabs in the heavy metallics. Mine is a cromolly steel frame, a couple of years later they went to larger aluminum tubes. This is an older photo of mine. Guess I need to go through it and get it rideable again.
b092792a0491f5c2c6fa2e6fcfb7bf80.file

Sent using Tapatalk

Nice. Really nice. I've never seen the cromo one. I'm used to the aluminum ones from the late 90s. Something about the paint they used drives me nuts, it looks soo deeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!
schwinn-moab-mountain-bike-1_29820192043124762787.jpg

For those not in the know, here's a sample of the "Bassboat" paint Schwinn was throwing around at the end of the 90s
$_1.jpeg
5265427a082bd201_small.jpeg
331d686cb87871e9_small.jpeg

Really cool bikes. It is my understanding that these were the last bikes Schwinn had made in North America.

Last edited:
Some of the Homegrown frames are rumored to be handmade at the Yeti factory. Now there's a bargain for you, yeti for the cost of a Schwinn!

From bonus tomato FAQ...

the '95 models were made by Control Tech, Yeti made Factory hardtails and Straight 6/8 front triangles from '96-'99, Anodizing, Inc. made everything else through 2001 except the carbon All-Mountain frames, which were made by Top Key in Taiwan.

...and for paint...

Rainbow Cycle Craft in Niwot, Colorado was responsible for the distinctive bassboat paint jobs seen on some Homegrowns. I recently spoke with some of the crew from Spectrum Powder Works and learned that they also were responsible for painting some of the more memorable Homegrowns; in fact, these were the first frames that Spectrum painted.

I was not aware of Control Tech's part in the Homegrowns. Jason Grove of El Camino Fab must have welded a few of those up, as he worked there back then.

Rainbow Cycle Craft appears to be long gone. I live near Niwot, CO now and had never heard of them.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Latest posts

Back