Retrospec Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would this “Retrospec” Sully Klunker he considered a Strand BMX Cruiser?
702b88eaebedd2c89081d4228a1f30b0.jpg

OR
What about the “We The People” Avenger?
0c925eb8eddc8199cfab309e1f199ecb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having thoughts on another new bike?? :39:
You never know, would probably be a foolish impulse at my age, but I do love a new bike OR an old bike.
The WTP is on my short list
Think I saw pictures of an older version that was red which is what drew me in. I vote blue so the blue version would be fine. Quite a difference in price of the two.

Depending on what you want and what your price point is

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on one of these Framed Twenty6er

View attachment 98822

But if you can swing it

$$$$

Felt Rail

View attachment 98823
I like the double top bar design of the two aforementioned bikes. I’m cheap so the Retrospec looks better dollar wise. They are listed for less than half of their previous list price.
I have one of the Felt Burners in the colors you show. I bought it used. It belonged to a bike shop mechanic and has some upgrades. I felt it was a Felt bargain deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
d79ffe39307e0ba0111be30862318b30.jpg

My Felt

The Avenger is definitely a BMX Cruiser...and that seems to be what the Sully is shooting for as well.

There was an Avenger for sale locally for almost a couple years...near mint condition...for $550 towards the end (I think he gave up). I was tempted, but, it is a mild steel frame except for the cr-mo downtube. WTP is a real quality bike company, so I don't no why they cheaped out on the Avenger. If you run across a used WTP Champ...that is a nice full 4130 3-bar 26" bike. The Avenger will have much better components than the Sully, which is really just a dept. store quality bike.

Cap...I have a Framed Twenty9er. Well made frame...crap components.

If an Avenger came up locally for a decent price, I'd snag one as they are a sharp looking bike. But...price would have to be 'good'.

Cap...I have a Framed Twenty9er. Well made frame...crap components.

Good to know. :thumbsup:

I figured as much. I have an extra set of dj wheels and some landing gear I'd probably throw on it

Depending on what you want and what your price point is

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on one of these Framed Twenty6er

View attachment 98822

But if you can swing it

$$$$

Felt Rail

View attachment 98823
That Framed 26er just looks like what I'd expect a BMX cruiser to look like. And the 23.5" top tube is a bonus.

Hopefully my Kona will turn out as nice..
20190729_204304.jpg
but it'll be tough to build it for less money.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a nice one, but I would think it is overpriced... But who's to say how much value rarity adds to a bike. For my money, it'd have to be drenched in XTR. How much is a similar era Stumpjumper? Half that? A third?

Yeah it's a nice one, but I would think it is overpriced... But who's to say how much value rarity adds to a bike. For my money, it'd have to be drenched in XTR. How much is a similar era Stumpjumper? Half that? A third?
I suppose there is a nostalgia factor at work here. The listing is also a make an offer option. For someone in northern Indiana it might be an interesting purchase. I remember seeing these reviewed when they were new, thinking they were about double the listed price.
They used to go for far more.
Seems like they were around $1400 or so new, but I could be wrong, thats 25 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I first heard about them...I decided I needed one. Started the search, first one I found went for ~$3000 on the ebay (went for, not the asking price). Figured that had to be a fluke...so I kept looking, and after a string of $2000+ sales, I decided...maybe I don't need one after all :bigsmile:. Fast forward many years of not looking, and then last year or the year before...it was discussed here on RRB, one comes up on ebay. I thought for sure it would go for well over a $1000, but, it didn't sell (I think it was starting around the $600-700 area). I contacted the guy and tried to make a deal, but he was in Canada...I didn't have a valid passport...and there was only a narrow window that he was willing to come down to the states. So, it didn't happen. I latter ran across his classified ad (pinkbike, I think) that was marked sold with an asking price of $650. Since then, the ones I've seen listed (never in my area) are usually asking ~$500 to $750.

So, they are much cheaper...probably has something to do with the age of the demographic that thinks such a bike is 'cool' being a bit on the higher side. Now, if I can find one listed within a few hundred miles from here :39:.

Yeah, after thinking on it, the thing has a certain "je ne sais quoi" to it... It was a false equivalency when I compared it to a Stumpy, this has the cool factor, Stumpjumper and other MTN bikes are all function. And my XTR comment probably missed the point of the bike too, there's too much "tech functionality" in that groupe. The STX stuff on there is tough and durable and steel, befitting a bike of that nature.
I love klunkers, am super into the Repack crew, and somehow, I missed the point of this one.:blush:

*Edit: shows where my mind is in 2020, this kept me up thinking all night, this post is the first thing I did today!

Latest posts

Back