Return of the Living Dead

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Strange name for a bike huh? This bike was purchased at the Midwest Bicycle Swap last week. It didnt immediately sell because it scared a lot of people. This bike was completely locked up solid with rust, It had been sitting outside for a long long time. The cranks, handlebars, EVERYTHING... locked up tight! Like the seller said... "Its Almost yard art"

I was gonna name it something to do with Pearl Harbor since its a 41, plus I was born on Pearl Harbor day... but nah, decided to go a different direction with the name.

So im gonna jump in, and document the re-birth of a cool old bike, I dont have a cool parts stash so I will be scrounging whatever I can to try and get this thing done. Not entirely sure what direction Im heading, but in the end I hope to have a cool old bike thats rideable.

Here is my starting point...

001-2.jpg

It was originally blue...

007-2.jpg

Yeah this one is gonna be a challenge.

I got it all blown apart after cutting the stem to get the forks out. Today I got the forks straightened out Hillbilly style! I pretty much ran them over with the truck. Worked first try, no more bend.

After getting it straight, I cut the steer tube off and finally was able to get the other half of the stem out. Also found the wedge... it was in a pile of solid rust at the very bottom of the fork.

Next up will be to weld the stem back together, then weld a new steer tube on the fork. I may end up getting a different fork... I know I can save it, but with all the bending Im not sure how well its gonna hold up.

I also hit up Udall, and scored a couple drop center rims so I dont have to bondo those originals :wink: thanks Cameron!

As far as the patina... Im toying with the idea of leaving it, I mean after all that is some kind of moss growing on the side. cant get that at the corner store.

looks like your missing tires an some bars. after those parts are gathered i think youll be done. :p

Ok I got the stem saved today.

Used to look like this...
008-4.jpg

A few sparks later...
009-2.jpg

And after some cleanup, I now have a useable vintage stem...
010-3.jpg

011-2.jpg

If I decide to have it replated, I would probably have to blast it, braze it, then dress it off to finish off the last of those pesky rust pits.

if i didnt know what i was looking at i would never guess that was cut in half .and compared to some of the welding ive seen on this site those are nice too

very cool 1941-42 vintage Huffman made Western Flyer! if you decide to go in a different direction with the front end I could use the trusses.
I always get attached to the Huffmans I'll be watching this one!

udallcustombikes said:
You fall asleep over here? Or just busy on the grill? I gotta see some more pics!

:lol: Dude... you on crack or what? :lol:
At the rate your going, I predict you will be all finished up by next wednesday at.... noon?

Patience lil buddy, patience

Perfection takes time. Oh and its probably not helping that Im right in the middle of trying to get that Indian bike rebuilt. Im hoping to get it painted this weekend.

As far as the old Western Flyer... Progress is being made behind the scenes, gotta chase parts ya know. Especially since I dont have a warehouse full of cool parts like you! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back