Rim strips on double-walled rims?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey so I am putting together a 26" BMX and for the first time in my life I spent a bunch of money on brand new BMX parts. Got these fancy wheels today.
20200508_142647.jpg

Now, I have never owned double-wall rims before, and I got to wondering if they use the same kind of rim strip you'd use on a single-wall rim. So I asked Uncle Google, and I found a couple of message boards with folks saying that for double wall rims you need to use rim tape to keep the tube from inflating out through the spoke holes. However, these message boards were for road bikes and the tires they were talking about were like 100PSI and higher. I am looking at 55-60 PSI tires. Do I need rim tape, or regular old rubber rim strips, or do any of you have special homebrew solutions you use?

thanks!

Wow. Considering it looks like I can find 15 to 25 yard rolls easily for under 5 bucks, it's a great deal too compared to rim tape or rim strips. Nice, thanks! Now to find a place that sells it that's open. Wonder if Wal-Mart would have it in Sporting Goods...

Hockey tape works great and if you're in a pinch, a few wraps of electrical tape around the rim works ok too...I usually wrap the rim 4-5 times with it. I've bought rimstrips before and they can be a PITA to get on a rim, especially the woven fibre/cloth ones.

I have used Gorilla tape on occasion last year. Needed to cut it down in width as I just had a 2" wide roll. I wrapped a couple of layers around the rim. No issues so far.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have used Gorilla tape on occasion last year. Needed to cut it down in width as I just had a 2" wide roll. I wrapped a couple of layers around the rim. No issues so far.

the only thing that would scare me about that is what if you ever had to get it off?

the only thing that would scare me about that is what if you ever had to get it off?
I would try some acetone to see if it would soften the adhesive. Haven't had to deal with broken spokes on those wheels yet.

Latest posts

Back