Road Bike Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been a year or so since Ive done a bike build. For the last couple months I have been able to ride everyday. Even though I try to get to the dirt as much as I can, most days I'm riding on the road. I have an old full squish 94 StumpJumper FSR that I put street tires on, but on longer rides its not great. I did 60 miles a couple Saturdays ago and the hand and crotch numbness had me looking into making the bike more road worthy.

My first thoughts were to put road wheels/cranks/ and drop bars on it, but adapting the rear brakes to later wheels was going to be a trick. Then I remembered that I had this old intense frame that got damaged enough that I didn't want to ride it hard in the dirt anymore. But for the road, I think it will be fine. PLUS, it has adjustable rear brake bosses, so I wont have to use a rear brake adapter.

I ordered a set of 700c road wheels that are rim and disc brake compatible, and I ordered a bottom bracket so I could mount some road cranks. Yesterday I pieced together a cassette. Basically a road setup, but with a bailout gear. Cogs are 12,13,14,15,16,17, 20, 26, 34. Then I shaved down the cage on an old XT front derailleur so it would work with the 52t chainring. I also mocked up the rear brakes, which will work out perfectly.

So far everything has been from the spare parts drawer except the wheels and bottom bracket.

Here are some pics...

They aren't in order, but you get the idea of where I started, and where its going...
IMG_0504.jpeg
IMG_0505.jpeg
IMG_0503.jpeg
IMG_0499.jpeg
IMG_0486.jpeg
IMG_0485.jpeg
IMG_0484.jpeg
IMG_0483.jpeg
IMG_0482.jpeg
IMG_0481.jpeg
IMG_0480.jpeg
62648004017__2638D06F-9C05-45A2-BAA2-801391BF050F.jpeg

Nice to see the Intense getting some love. Too cool to sit on a shelf
lzCdbhiP_400x400.jpg

Any pics of Stumpy? I've been riding it's baby brother since the ninties, my RockRat is a 94 Hardrock

Thats a really cool Logo! I see that its a shop in the UK. Wonder if they would ship a shirt to the US?

I have a few retro MTBs...

Here is the Stumpjumper. My dad bought it new in 94. I still have the receipt.

IMG_5759.jpeg

My son rides this 93 Amp Research B2:

IMG_5760.jpeg

I also have this 98 Gary Fisher Ziggurat:
IMG_5764.jpeg

And this 96 Gary Fisher Marlin:

IMG_3345.jpeg

This one isnt really retro yet, but its an 06 Yeti 575:

IMG_6143.jpeg

Nice fleet, the Stumpjumper and Amp are killer! According to the interwebs, anything from 2006 is obsolete, but I'd bet that Yeti is still a trail slayer. If you want to ship it to me, I can provide a fully detailed review of its capabilities!

I remember you from Turbobricks! I was pisco on there...still playing bass I see! Any plans for the bikes to shoot flames? :rockout:

Nice fleet, the Stumpjumper and Amp are killer! According to the interwebs, anything from 2006 is obsolete, but I'd bet that Yeti is still a trail slayer. If you want to ship it to me, I can provide a fully detailed review of its capabilities!

Thanks! Ya, the Yeti is a great bike!

I remember you from Turbobricks! I was pisco on there...still playing bass I see! Any plans for the bikes to shoot flames? :rockout:
Hey Dude! Small world. No flames shooting from the bikes yet, but you never know!

I made a bit of progress today. I put a carbon MTB bar on for now, with the bar ends off my stumpjumper, with XT shifters, XT rear brake lever and a Juicy 3 front brake. I also found an older XTR rear derailed that should work pretty good. Right now it still needs a chain and pedals, but its weighing in at 25.04 pounds...

IMG_0562.jpeg
IMG_0561.jpeg
IMG_0560.jpeg

So I've put about 90 miles on this bike now. And so far, its GREAT! Numbness is considerably less than on the Stumpjumper, and I am able to average 2-3 mph quicker. I did a 24 mile ride in an hour and 40 mins on Monday.

I am planning on doing a 100 mile ride on it in a couple weeks....

I did my 100 mile ride on this bike last week. It went pretty well. I had a slight issue with the rear shock making a squeaking sound, so Ill need to look into that, but overall the ride was great! No numbness at all, even though I took a couple 10-15 min breaks.

Latest posts

Back