Roadmaster fork disassembly?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3 of these Roadmaster forks, I'm pretty sure they were cheap Walmart bikes. I wouldn't mind trying to use one or two on a build, but I can't figure out how to take them apart. I would like to see if the bottom tubes could be put on backwards so the brace and brake would be less visable from behind.

Does anyone know how to take these apart? Maybe they were so cheap, they weren't made to ever be disassembled.

P9260525.JPG

Most likely not supposed to be taken apart, but if you use a flat screwdriver, those plastic caps pop off the crown of the forks. Beneath that, a screw or bolt. Mine was a weird screw, so I can't tell you what's under it, but that's how I'd start...

On a Rockshox you have to use a long extension or two, and a 5 or 6mm allen, to reach all the way to the bottom to unscrew it on each side.
Might be similar.

I did get one apart. When I looked down the tube it looked like a bolt down there, but it was a screw.

The other two don't have a screw that I can see or feel, and none of my sockets fit, so it must be an allen or torx. It's so hard to see in there.

I don't have any allen keys long enough to reach to see if that's what they are.

I did get one apart. When I looked down the tube it looked like a bolt down there, but it was a screw.

The other two don't have a screw that I can see or feel, and none of my sockets fit, so it must be an allen or torx. It's so hard to see in there.

I don't have any allen keys long enough to reach to see if that's what they are.
You would have to use one with a 3/8 square drive socket, or the 1/4" hex drive, to attach your long extensions to.

Those are cheap walmart bikes. You may run in to steering issues with the brake backwards. Easiest way would be to cut the brake mount off and spin the forkd around and reweld. You'll have cable interference with vbrakes and cantis would be out of the question.

Latest posts

Back