Roller Chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my friend sold me a good amount of roller chain, and its no where near the right size to use as regular bike chain, so im wondering what gauge is used on those motor kits? if its the right stuff, i can sell it to whoever needs it. 8)

Chainsaw said:
Not sure what size but Nogoodnic (Kelly) uses chains from garage door openers on his motobikes.

Garage door chain is bike chain 1/2"x1/8" (normal Cruiser/singlespeed) I picked up up 20 chains from a overhead door co. for the bike coop. Thanks for the reminder as I need to find some more.

Cman, Why does it look heavier than regular bike chain? I know alot of the BMX guys around here use it and I knew that it fit the average sprockets, but it looks so much beefier. Any clue or is it just my old eyes seeing something differently. It also seems heavier weight wise.
The first year we showed at Autorama we used about 100 feet of garage door chain for our stanchions. We left most of the grease, oil and dirt on the chain. After a few of the kids and adults got dirty, they finally got the idea of NOT leaning over it to touch the bikes or run their hands down the barriers. It was hilarious! We could have sold tickets just to watch the stupidity of people! :lol:

Huh? I'll try to find a chunk tonight and see if there is a difference or if it's just me. Could there be a commercial/industrial chain as opposed to what homeowners would have? Now I'm way more interested in this than I should be!
Thanks!

Compare chain from a 50's ballooner to a new Wally World Huffy. I bet the new chain looks sleeker.

i think ADD runs in our family. :lol: ive seen the chain they use for garage doors and it does look a tad bit heavier. prolly cuz its got a lot of weight on it, compared to bike chains.

It is a heaver duty chain---I really don't know chain terms---I think they called it #10.I have some on a motored bicycle I built,drive side.

are you talking about the garage door chain or the roller chain? cuz i asked about roller chain.. :?

I bet all the chain you have ever seen is roller chain.
All chain(skip tooth,1/2" pitch ,BMX tru 9 speed derailer chain )it's all roller chain---That is it has those small rollers pined between the plates---block chain does not have any rollers.
#10 chain is just heavd duty 1/2' pitch chain.

Stretch, is the chain that you have a little wider than the average bicycle sprocket chain? I have a really cool BMX sprocket that is the same pitch as a regular bike chain but has thicker teeth so the normal type chain doesn't fit.

I'm thinking a chain/sprocket look see and bicycle cruise maybe in order to determine things! :wink:
Get back with me!

it is a good bit wider, but the links are shorter too. theyre like 3/8" instead of 1/2"

Latest posts

Back