Rollfast picked up at a barn sale

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Central New York State near the Erie Canal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearby barn sale produced this nicely complete bike.

I'm not sure how to procede but I know I want keep the paint. I have a donor bike that can provide nice shiny rims and other chrome parts. Or should I keep the whole thing as found - just make it mechanically good?
And I think I want the baskets off, what do you think?
Al

Very nice! I love Rollfasts!

Thanks Rat Pilot. I'm sorta new to this type of bike building although I've been fixing and customizing bikes all my life. Sandman, I did see that the Rollfast has been repainted. I may keep the paint just for the old look of it. Gotta clean up that badge though.
Right now I'm working on the two Schwinn Typhoons I dragged down from the garage loft. I'll post some photos of that process soon (in the Builds forum).

Nice Rollfast! I'm guessing it's a 59 model. The serial number letter will ID the year.
Someone put some effort in the repaint, probably 40 years ago. They replaced the fork with a Schwinn or similar style.
If the rims ride well and the spokes aren't rusted out I would keep the wheels and everything and ride it.

Well, I narrowed it down to the '59-mid 60's range with the help of the Bike ID forum post. Here is the serial number - D followed by a backwards stamped C and the numbers 12289. The backwards C is a C not a mistamped incomplete zero. Is it still a '59? Will consider keeping the wheels. Thanks Wildcat.

As many bikes as they were pumping out, there was always room for errors. They probably didn't put a whole lot of priority on serial numbers. Back then they wouldn't have believed someone would want to know the year of these bikes by the serial number.

Well, I narrowed it down to the '59-mid 60's range with the help of the Bike ID forum post. Here is the serial number - D followed by a backwards stamped C and the numbers 12289. The backwards C is a C not a mistamped incomplete zero. Is it still a '59? Will consider keeping the wheels. Thanks Wildcat.

I’m not so sure the fork isn’t stock. My ‘59 has a blade type fork that was original paint.
29514090-F395-4805-B2D8-4B31A340615F.jpeg

I saw the black paint and thought it didn't match until I noticed the black accents on the fenders. It can be proven to be the right fork by the color on the inside of the frame head tube and the fork tube. I prefer the ashtabula forks and would keep them on even if they weren't the right ones. I also noticed the ashtabula avatar on ameks posts.

For the time being I am just lubricating, adjusting and inflating. I removed the rusty rear baskets. Inflating the tires: the rear tire took air but is trying to creep off the rim. The front tire took air but but the tire split and the tube blew out and popped. My neighbors probably blamed the guy up the road with the gun range. In an effort to keep the bead from creeping up past the rim I resorted to using duct tape to hold the tire in place.

I probably had to add 4 or 5 more tapes than in the photo before it would cooperate. It finally locked into place and I was able to test ride it.
The rear rack is cool - it has that tail lamp - but unfortunately the bulb holder is missing. Maybe I can get one from an old flashlight.
I'm planning on leaving it as is except for some flat black paint. I want to paint the wheels, the rack and the fender struts. At that point I may buy some tires and call it done. We''ll see.

"In an effort to keep the bead from creeping up past the rim I resorted to using duct tape to hold the tire in place."
And then rode on that duct taped tire!
Awesome!

Scroll up to that first picture, then look at these finished pics. I have kept modifications to an absolute minimum. The rusty rims and spokes got a quick wire wheel and painted flat black. I found that Rustoleum Satin Colonial Red is perfect match for the faded dull red paint on this bike. I touched up all the red and black with an "overspray technique" and using only a little masking tape.
A very little silver paint was used also. Not sure at this time if I will buy new tires for it.
Learning from Jude I made an attempt at covering the seat with leather. The taillight inner components were missing so I grabbed this little flashlight and it fit just right.

This is funny - Wildcat kept telling me there should be 6 digits not 5 - the last digit, stamped upside down and tucked underneath the rack bracket.

Man, that looks awesome! I love a Rollfast!

Latest posts

Back