~~ Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
Head'em up, move'em out RAWHIDE!

OK, I got a little excited. Thanks to KOTA (Larry) for a great trade on the hubs that are part of this wheelset. THey are 1944 wartime Blackout hubs. The rear a New Departure, the front is one of three possibilities Morrow, Bendix or Musselman - but is not stamped. They have been rebuilt and strung onto a set of true one piece triple step wheels that were painstakingly stripped and wet sanded by me and then primered and "flat blacked out". As of yet they do not have a frame ready to mount them to, but I thought I would show them off.

New Departure wheels are extraordinarily easy to rebuild. This morning I tackled a Morrow hub, which was also a piece of cake. While I like the Nexus multi gear stuff i have used in the past, I am finding these old hubs do a very admirable job getting the power to the pavement, and at a fraction of the price. My next stab is a Bendix rebuild. I heard they are a bit more challenging.

Joe

BlackTrips1.jpg

BlackTrips2.jpg

BlackTrips3.jpg

Yeshoney,

Have you ever tackeled a Bendix 2 speed hub ???

would you consider rebuilding hubs

Do you have any Nexus 7 speeds ya want to sell ??

COOL Avitar ... ROCKIBILLY !!

Best wishes,

The Wingman

sensor said:
sweet wheels! is that new d a single or 2 speed?

HEY! I can answer that!.................Uh....I THINK it's a single. :lol:

yeshoney said:
Head'em up, move'em out RAWHIDE!

OK, I got a little excited. Thanks to KOTA (Larry) for a great trade on the hubs that are part of this wheelset. THey are 1944 wartime Blackout hubs. The rear a New Departure, the front is one of three possibilities Morrow, Bendix or Musselman - but is not stamped. They have been rebuilt and strung onto a set of true one piece triple step wheels that were painstakingly stripped and wet sanded by me and then primered and "flat blacked out". As of yet they do not have a frame ready to mount them to, but I thought I would show them off.

New Departure wheels are extraordinarily easy to rebuild. This morning I tackled a Morrow hub, which was also a piece of cake. While I like the Nexus multi gear stuff i have used in the past, I am finding these old hubs do a very admirable job getting the power to the pavement, and at a fraction of the price. My next stab is a Bendix rebuild. I heard they are a bit more challenging.

Joe

OK....
I saw you obtained a VERY NICE goodie off the bay very recently... Is that the future home of these wheels?
(And yes, I'm lime green with envy! Nice one.)

I am anticipating another unique ride...
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere
BlackTrips1.jpg

BlackTrips2.jpg

BlackTrips3.jpg

Hey REC - Yes, you are very observant! I told them to NOT ship the wheels that were on it as I already have a set! Since the pics were kind of small I am hoping that it is in better condition than it looks. At minimum it should be straight, rust, no rust/surface rust etc can be brought back to life with a little elbow grease. I have some more cool parts for this build coming too, but not gonna let the cat outta the bag yet! 8) 8) 8)

Alllllllrighty then! :mrgreen:

This will be worth the wait.

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Latest posts

Back