Rollin' Rusty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got off my lazy butt and decided to get something done! :lol:

I have my old Lincoln bike and I am going to build off of that.
Donor parts off of a girls bike and some prep work. Lots of work...
My first build off too!

I'll get pics of the progress later.

Take care everyone.
Mark-

I got a lot of work done on it today, mainly getting it together and making sure it all works before I go and do any fine-detail work.
It turns out the rims are the Schwinn wide wheels. Do those need special tires or would some standards from the LBS fit?

This is the bike before...its it rusted solid state.
CIMG0088.jpg

After a long day of work and stealing parts from a girls bike (Both wheels).
IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Only did a rough wire brushing over the whole bike. Break off the loose rust and clean the surface rust off of the chrome.

Mark-

I like the idea of a clear-coat. I would recomend Tremclad clear anti rust paint, so the rust wouldn't keep advancing, but I'd test spray on something that wouldn't show too much if the paint wasn't compatible. (inside the rear wheel?)
I'm waiting to see the finished bike... good luck!

deorman said:
Anything, as long as they're rust-stained. :p :wink:

Well, I just so happened to have a set of a junk bike in back. Rust stained, dirty, and low miles. Perfect!
Now that I had tires I went and made it ride-able. Chain is being a pain, needs to be a half link shorter as its a bit too loose/long but besides that its good. Had to add about 5 links to make the chain fit somewhat properly (Chain is off of a girls bike)

It rides nice and goes pretty good too, just its uncomfortable for me. May have to go with the handlebars back in the normal position. I want it to look cool but I want it to be a nice and comfortable ride.

Total cost so far... $0.00 :D

CIMG0052.jpg

CIMG0053.jpg

CIMG0056.jpg

you could put in a half-link. they're magical. :wink:

Ok, seat post broke on me. Apparently my welds of the support bar weren't all that good...
I am going with the old seat post before I hurt something. :shock:

I also have a set of different handle bars on it now. A bit wider.

Well, off to the LBS, need some parts. :D

It looks great so far!

Glad you've decided on clearcoat. :wink: That makes the patina really look nice.

This is just my $.02, but-

Have you considered running some half moon bars? I think those would fit very nicely rather than the standard cruiser bar. Have you also considered raking the springer out by flipping the lower mount piece around?

axy552.jpg

I was able to get this other pic off my phone. Did a little editing and it turned out to have a really cool effect.

01256444710961000000571195704x563.jpg

Soon the real work will start. The tear down, and endless hours of test fitting parts and wet-sanding. :shock:

Unchained said:
It looks great so far!

Glad you've decided on clearcoat. :wink: That makes the patina really look nice.

This is just my $.02, but-

Have you considered running some half moon bars? I think those would fit very nicely rather than the standard cruiser bar. Have you also considered raking the springer out by flipping the lower mount piece around?

I just flipped the part around, and it looks really cool now! Thats a cool idea. Also added a nice wire-frame Schwinn seat. Looks a lot better now overall. As for handlebars, I still have the wide ones on there now. Might look into a set of "mini apes", a little shorter than stingray size handlebars.

Got some sand paper, paint, and clearcoat. All I need to do is find a pic of a bike like mine with the pin striping and all that intact so I can copy it. I am repaint those. I think it will have a cool effect.

Latest posts

Back