Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Here is a Ross Central Park. Thinking mid 80's vintage. Rides perfect picked up at Police Bike Auction for cheap.
27.50 ross central park 2.JPG

History is unknown but bike seems to of had little use over the years.
Gumwall tires peeling badly,so even if tires have a lot of tread they are rotten and have to be replaced.
27.50 ross central park 3.JPG

Unsure if this is a mountain bike or a cruiser. Maybe what they call a hybrid now?
It's a nice ride on the rough country roads here so I'm gonna put on street tread tires.
27.50 ross central park 1.JPG

Anyways needs some clean up and polish but it's a fine rider.

I'm amazed the indexed shifting works really well on this bike to. and seat is really comfy.

Tried some used 26 x 1.75 tires I had but too wide they rubbed the on the chain stays. Ordered some
CST 26 x 1.50 tires and lots of room.
DSCF1712.JPG

DSCF1714.JPG

Tried the aluminum foil trick to remover rust from the chrome - amazing! Still have to clean it more, but it is up and running now on good safe tires!
DSCF1708.JPG
DSCF1709.JPG
DSCF1710.JPG
DSCF1715.JPG
DSCF1716.JPG
DSCF1717.JPG

Don't really know how to classify this bike - a lightweight, full fender mountain bike with beach cruiser bars? :grin:

I really like this bike! Took it on 10 mi ride last evening and it's like custom made for me. I have been searching the innerwebs but can't find another like it. Someone described the "Central Park" model as a SS cruiser type bike, and any pics I find are coaster brake, stripped middleweight models. This has a lugged frame, 10 speed index shift, beach cruiser bars, full fenders. Everything seems original, I would think it was mountain bike derived except the chainstays are to narrow to fit even a 26 x 1.75 tire!
as for year, serial # I119007422. Bike says Designed and engineered by Ross bicycles, Farmingdale N.Y.
Made in Taiwan. I have read Ross ceased US production in 1986 and moved production to a rented facility in Taiwan. In 1988 they went bankrupt, so I assume this bike was built in 1985 - 1988. If anyone has any info about the "park" models, please chime in. I know the Ross mountain bikes were named after mountains, maybe the park bikes were similar? Too bad there does not seem to be any literature around online either.:(

Latest posts

Back