Rot-Ten Colson Calling it done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fresh from the over growth is this late 30s Colson , first will see if it comes apart the nice way or the fun way. The nice way is with the kroil and wrenches and the fun way, the sawz-all.
I first have to get some honey-do's done the I can tear into this build !

Cool old pedals spin nice after a few drops of kroil !

crusty

not an original fork and bent , maybe the last rider was hard on forks !

Once I get the jungle knocked down , I can dig through the pile for parts !
Mark

Thanks guys !I've had this frame in the pile for a few years waiting for today !
Today's tool tray was simple and straight forward, I used the hammer and chisel for removing the rusty fender bolts, the pedal wrench and pliers for the crank and my favorite the saws all for the fork.

I mowed the 3 ft tall grass till I found these old Torington bars.

ready for some mock up

more later
Mark

Been admiring a lot of your builds in the BURIED TREASURE thread. Looking forward to this one.

Thanks Kingfish, the buried treasure thread is awesome and shows just how many good builders that we have here !
Luke , I have been waiting for the right build for the bars and I hope they fit with the rest of this build however it turns out.
I got this Colson guard a couple months back for my other Colson but I think it will work better on this one!
Thanks to Nickinator for this one!

Mark

Thanks guys !I've had this frame in the pile for a few years waiting for today !
Today's tool tray was simple and straight forward, I used the hammer and chisel for removing the rusty fender bolts, the pedal wrench and pliers for the crank and my favorite the saws all for the fork.

I mowed the 3 ft tall grass till I found these old Torington bars.

ready for some mock up

more later
Mark
I'm a relative newbie to this classic cruiser stuff, this frame, those pedals, and the bars are nuts! Love the rust....I'll be watching this one!

I have a fairly clean Colson sprocket that I won't be using, depends on what direction your building LMK, anyways looks like a great start..

Thanks OddJob, I like the rust myself if the rest of the bike blends with it !
I don't like crust and scraping / cleaning on the frame has made a few shiny areas so I may have to rerust it afterwords.
GSC I might be interested in the sprocket here in the near future once I get a sense of where this build is going !
So since I'm not at the bottom of page 4 anymore I would guess an update is in order.
The frame had a heavy coating of brushed on silver paint and for the most part it is all scraped off now .
I started tossing a few parts on and like always I find myself searching the pile for something that looks like it belongs on the bike.
The rear fender is not from a Colson but fits fairly well yet needs a few repairs/straightening, the fork will not be staying and the front fender and guard will ?

a close match

I'm thinkin' about robbing the fork from the other Colson for this bike and using a triple tree style on the Looptail.

Mark

Yea baby! Blue crust + blue crust + blue crust + seagull poop on that cool chainguard is sooooo very rat. :thumbsup:

...like some of us, this bike is getting better as it "ages"....all your rusty stars are aligned as far as I'm concerned! ;)

I don't fit in that category right now as I am on the injured reserve list this week suffering from tendentious in my right arm , I do hope to get out later to work on the bikes !
Thanks for the likes and comments !:thumbsup:
Mark
Hope it improves soon!

Luke.

Thanks Luke but I just can't seem to give my arm enough rest so it flared up again after todays ride and pounding the cups in.
I did make some progress before the rain set in, the front is together 'cept for some small details.

I had some distractions today that slowed up the works, I couldn't resist taking the Mobicycle out for a long ride.
Fact is I ride it whenever I can as its my new favorite bike !

stopped at the local filling station for some air .

Mark

Nice bars.
The Mobicycle looks sweet too!

Latest posts

Back