RRBBO - 60's Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys..I have been very sick for about a week but today
I'm feeling a bit better..better enough to start working on my Tank.

I bought a piece of "Bass Wood"..it's a little harder than Balsa wood and
easier to work with...I took my tank stencil,cut a piece out
,sanded it a bit and rounded some edges
..so here is One side of my Tank.

It will have more added to it with a design
you will all see pretty soon.

0042-1.jpg

0043-1.jpg

0044-1.jpg

0045-1.jpg

im stealing your "make shift" bike rim painting idea hahaha, so simple, love it! and wood tank, nacho libre "Joos crazy meng" love it.

kev,
i really like the "danger factor" that this has...

like when you go to shift, and your fingers get caught in the spokes, causing you to bail, and get impaled on the bullet grips...
:lol:

a rat should look dangerous! i really like how it's turning out!
keep up the good work...

oct

stripped the Chainring..primed it and painted the crank Red..
I think I am going to change these colors..maybe a Red Chainring and white Cranks..

also I sanded my whole frame down and gave her a quick whipe..
0046-1.jpg

0047-1.jpg

I finished the other side of my Wood tank and am Laying out the design for the side of it..

my buddy Troy at Maple Ridge Cycle gave it to me..
a Free-bee...so it works good for a Free-bee

I want to get a Newer style..but hey..this is workin for now and free
is a good price!

peace,
Kev.

well..I got into the Fab / Dremelling of the Front Fender..
note to self "Self" do not ever buy the aftermarket Dremel cut off wheels..they lasted about 1/10 as long as the Dremel one's..

Thanks to my Son Dean for his Fine Photography skills....
0049-1.jpg

it took about an Hour to Cut it all away..I'm not sure if I will Paint it
or Try that Duplicote Chrome Paint and try and make er Chrome again..
0050-1.jpg

I quickly threw the Tire on and hand tightened the Fender..it'll seat a bit better than this but it will ride nice and snug to the wheel..
0051-1.jpg

0052-1.jpg

I honestly wasn't going to go through with this Fender design...
I am now glad I did..it flows nice with the center tubes on the frame....
enjoy,
peace,
Kev.

0053.jpg

Very nice...Kelly
beerchug[1].gif

aka_locojoe said:
Very cool! Have you used the crome paint before? The "chrome" paint I seen used once looked no difffernt than silver. Don't know what brand it was.

no I haven't Randy..I think I might Paint it Red/white to go with the wheels now..not sure yet though..I change my mind all to often :roll: :shock: :mrgreen:

so,here's how the Story Goes...and how it ties into my RRBBO Bike.

In 1932 Ford was the First Company to "Mass Produce" the Solid Forged V8 Motor.
Buick and Chev tried in about 1914( non-solid forged ) and it didn't fly to well..anyway..Ford figured it out! Giving us the Well Known "Flat Head Ford" A motor that would Run..and Run..and Run..sometimes without oil!
when Hot Rodding started big in the 40's and 50's what do you think was laying around..EVERYWHERE! Yup..Flat Heads..In 49 Olds pushed one out and Buick made one of my Favorite looking Blocks.."The Nailhead"
Chev followed in 55..

So,Aftermarket Companies( especially in So-Cal and New York ) jumped on the scene with parts ,Intakes,and High performance Heads for the Flathead!
Arden,Edelbrock and The One's I like the most..Offenhauser..

and so goes the Story with me..I wanted a Bike to be like a Rat Rod...or as my dad called them and what they are.....A Hot Rod! and with that my Tank Reflects the time when Horses and Cubic Inches kicked ...!

This is an Offie Head on an Old Ford..
offenhauserhead2.jpg

and this is my Tank Mocked up..I will polish up The Acorn nuts..and Paint the Tank and Letters Red and white to Match the Wheels and Tires..
I used little strips of Balsa Wood from the Craft store and The letters are from the dollar store..
0055.jpg

0056-1.jpg

peace,
Kev.

Latest posts

Back