RRBBO16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found 57mm rims here in the Philippines! For a decent price, less than I could have gotten them in the states. My favorite would be a copper rim like 3G sells, but they only had polished alloy and only 2 sets left. That color will match the Jetson style hubs. The sky's the limit now.
circle-26-x-57mm-polish-36h.jpg

I just found 57mm rims here in the Philippines! For a decent price, less than I could have gotten them in the states. My favorite would be a copper rim like 3G sells, but they only had polished alloy and only 2 sets left. That color will match the Jetson style hubs. The sky's the limit now.
View attachment 155195

Great score!
Crank up some Grand Funk and keep it SHININ ON!!!!

I don’t see how they’re ridden, but aesthetically, remarkably beautiful. Definitely look forward to what you build this year.

Reallycoolbikes, Reallybigtim.

furyus
Thank you for the kind words, furyus. Just like long-fork choppers, my FREAK builds are intended to be better at looking good than riding good. My goal this time is to make some kind of larger version with fatter tires.

I have this bike that I hate. The welds look like they were laid down by a nine year old on a Friday afternoon who's peeved because they just learned that there is such a thing as a weekend, and they won't get one in their lifetime. Only rode it for a minute before stripping it down to build the Duck, and the ride sucked. Hopefully I have the parts to make something that I hate less. If not, I will have tidied up the pile into a stack that is easier to manage. Maybe some laffs along the way.

You could always name it "16 Tons"

Thank you for the kind words, furyus. Just like long-fork choppers, my FREAK builds are intended to be better at looking good than riding good. My goal this time is to make some kind of larger version with fatter tires.

Well, you’ve knocked it out of the park as far as looking good goes. Love the finish, too, right down to the dirt on the tires. I’m certain bigger (reallybig) will be better, and to cruise, even at parade speed, would be best. Will be watching for sure.

furyus

They look like like mysterious machinery of which purpose I am not quite sure. Old, but functional and purpose built. Great vision.
I have noticed after a while how many people have their distinctive building style. Some like it low, others like it stretched, some like paint, some like rust, some like details etc.
I definitely would love to see a bigger version of that drag bike.

Well, you’ve knocked it out of the park as far as looking good goes. Love the finish, too, right down to the dirt on the tires. I’m certain bigger (reallybig) will be better, and to cruise, even at parade speed, would be best. Will be watching for sure.

furyus
I have always said if it doesn't have rust, it's not a rat rod. But I have just decided on the frame I am going to use, and this one might not have much (if any) rust. And I'm not going to dirty-up those NOS Thick Bricks. So, I might be building a custom. I even have a name figured out (and it's hilarious!). Only a few more things yet to decide. I love it when the ideas start to come together and gel.

They look like like mysterious machinery of which purpose I am not quite sure. Old, but functional and purpose built. Great vision.

You nailed it. I see the same thing but couldn’t put it in those words.

furyus

I have always said if it doesn't have rust, it's not a rat rod. But I have just decided on the frame I am going to use, and this one might not have much (if any) rust. And I'm not going to dirty-up those NOS Thick Bricks. So, I might be building a custom. I even have a name figured out (and it's hilarious!). Only a few more things yet to decide. I love it when the ideas start to come together and gel.

I concur with requisite rust. And I might be getting a little shinier this time around, too.

furyus

As a connoisseur of crustiness, a raving rust-ationalist, and a purveyor of patina; I love me some rusty rat rod bikes. However, and there's always a 'however', there have been many cool rat rods built on this site that didn't have a spec of rust on them. And many of them got my vote over the years. I like that we have never had defined boundaries on 'what is a rat rod' and that customization is our main goal; building a bike with it's own cool factor, rusty or not.

Building a 'shiny ' rat last year with RaTs GaSs was extremely rewarding and challenging. It stretched my skills and creativity to new levels. And it had tons of weird, unique parts all gathered together to form one unique custom bike. A rat rod bike. That said, build what inspires you @Reallybigtim and @furyus , rusty or shiny!

Anyway, I found this sheet of 20 cool stamps at my local Post Office yesterday. Who knew that the ol' USPS was this hip? They reminded me of my build last year, which was patterned somewhat after the Spectra-flame Hot Wheels cars. There might be hope for us after all! :grin:
175386883_133550355361272_8870699408627717692_n.jpg

As a connoisseur of crustiness, a raving rust-ationalist, and a purveyor of patina; I love me some rusty rat rod bikes. However, and there's always a 'however', there have been many cool rat rods built on this site that didn't have a spec of rust on them. And many of them got my vote over the years. I like that we have never had defined boundaries on 'what is a rat rod' and that customization is our main goal; building a bike with it's own cool factor, rusty or not.

Building a 'shiny ' rat last year with RaTs GaSs was extremely rewarding and challenging. It stretched my skills and creativity to new levels. And it had tons of weird, unique parts all gathered together to form one unique custom bike. A rat rod bike. That said, build what inspires you @Reallybigtim and @furyus , rusty or shiny!

Anyway, I found this sheet of 20 cool stamps at my local Post Office yesterday. Who knew that the ol' USPS was this hip? They reminded me of my build last year, which was patterned somewhat after the Spectra-flame Hot Wheels cars. There might be hope for us after all! :grin:
View attachment 155277
I have actually used those Hot Wheels stamps before. I still have all of my 68-71 Hot Wheel cars. I am probably going to be asking for a lot of advice (from you and others) on how to make my original paint DX Schwinn frame look better without losing its patina. I've seen how people on here can amazingly "bring back" original finishes. Because of my autism (and other issues), I don't have the patience to weld, grind, sand, prep, paint, etc. I have about a 5 second attention span and I get bored very easily (the reason for my 3-day builds). But for the same reasons, I feel that I am blessed with an incredible artistic eye (common to autistics). So, I build what I can, with what I have, as quickly as possible (otherwise I abandon the project). I want to try to expand my abilities by actually restoring the original finish on my DX frame this time and making it match the rest of the components while maintaining originality. Customs are much more popular than rusty rats, but I also like that an old item show all of its history. So, with attempting to build a (somewhat) shiny bike this time, I am just trying to expand my horizons and become more functional. I might fail miserably, but I am going to try my best. I hope I can count on you for advice.

JUST 6 MORE DAYS!!!!!!

1619362047389.png

Latest posts

Back