RRBBO16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time participant...... and looking forward to it! Have no clear vision of what I will build...other than having about half a frame to start with ....hmmmm
Welcome, I hope you dream up some plans and enjoy the build-off.

Attachments

• 1619670671182.png
    1619670671182.png
    176.9 KB · Views: 93
JUST 2 DAYS TO GO!!!!!

2rrb2.jpg

Those are the best kind of builds. Most of my builds have been organic and just develop over the course of the build off. I don't think I have ever had a complete build in my head.
Sound advise..... Have a couple ideas rolling around....but they are only that, lol.

Since the build-off starts on a Saturday, I should issue a "first-day-mock-up" challenge. Even if you don't have all of the parts, just post a picture of what you can assemble in one day. That way we can see the overall idea of your build from the very beginning, and later compare it to the finished product. Might be fun.

Since the build-off starts on a Saturday, I should issue a "first-day-mock-up" challenge. Even if you don't have all of the parts, just post a picture of what you can assemble in one day. That way we can see the overall idea of your build from the very beginning, and later compare it to the finished product. Might be fun.

The only problem with that is many times we don't really start with a plan for the build. Most of my builds are very organic and just come to life on their own as I play around with different parts throughout the build off.

Spoiler alert
1619716643601.png

The only problem with that is many times we don't really start with a plan for the build. Most of my builds are very organic and just come to life on their own as I play around with different parts throughout the build off.
To each his own. But most builders have an initial plan, and many of the parts on hand before the build-off begins. Some small things might change during the build, but I believe that having that basic concept initially is crucial. I will definitely be posting a first-day mock-up.

Last time I had a general direction in mind - 26" front wheel, 28/29" rear wheel. Apart from the frame I didn't use any of the originally planned parts :D
This time I have most of the parts ready, but the mechanics will be tricky because I am unexperienced with derailers. :) It will be a fun build off, that's 100% sure.

As Mike Tyson said: everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. That's how builds are for me. I do plan on reusing some parts I made and abandoned on Interrobang, which was a previous punch in the mouth.

JUST 1 DAY LEFT BEFORE WE CAN PLAN FOR SOME SWEET JUMPS!!!!

1619795160493.png

I originally wasn't planning on participating in this year's Build Off, but then I got to thinking about possibly building this bike:
DSC_9225.jpg
DSC_9227.jpg

I purchased this bike for $10 at the same swap meet that I bought Dumpster Diamond back in 2019. At first I had regretted my decision to buy this rusty girl's bike, but as soon as the seat tube sticker peeled off and revealed the beautiful shade of purple this bike used to be, I saw nothing but potential. I took the whole bike apart last year, as I had intended to try an oxalic acid bath on all the parts. I never got around to it, and the bike has just been a box of parts since.
BFtD_OA_bath_test_bike.jpg

Since all I've done to this bike is just take it apart, would it still qualify for the Build Off, since it hasn't technically been started yet? I figured it would pass, but I just want to be sure.

I originally wasn't planning on participating in this year's Build Off, but then I got to thinking about possibly building this bike:
View attachment 155644View attachment 155645

I purchased this bike for $10 at the same swap meet that I bought Dumpster Diamond back in 2019. At first I had regretted my decision to buy this rusty girl's bike, but as soon as the seat tube sticker peeled off and revealed the beautiful shade of purple this bike used to be, I saw nothing but potential. I took the whole bike apart last year, as I had intended to try an oxalic acid bath on all the parts. I never got around to it, and the bike has just been a box of parts since.
View attachment 155646

Since all I've done to this bike is just take it apart, would it still qualify for the Build Off, since it hasn't technically been started yet? I figured it would pass, but I just want to be sure.

Of course the flying purple people eater is eligible to be in BO16.

Latest posts

Back