RRBBO16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the kind words.

That definitely is a monster. I’ve had motorcycles that were less brutish. And I envy you being by the sea. I occasionally get down to Virginia Beach and I can watch the dolphins and ship traffic all day.

I appreciate that you took the time to respond in depth, though I still don’t agree with you. Every point you made is legitimate (and knowledgeable); we just see things differently. The funny thing is if the rules stay the same or Steve creates ten classes and a single vote rule, I’ll still be comfortably ensconced in 53rd place.

Enjoy the build-off.

furyus
53rd, you will edge up slowly, get creative, and keep producing.
I think my first build off I was 26th. Just kept pushing, had a break last 2 years, and ready to hop back in. Nothing to fancy.
I decided on going electric, due to the expensive fuel costs here. I was running around on a 50cc 2 stroke( I do have a 83 XR200r 4stroke) But in the summer here, the island is crazy, so using the larger bike is fast, but people just pull out in front of you and don't care. Most are drunk and high. So for safety I shifted to the 50cc. But this was costing over 1,500 euro a year to run, and slow and again dealing with idiots, so x that by 4 years the battery should last me, I save(6,000), and I don't smell like fumes. A new battery costs 400. People move away from me when cycling so feel safer. I can get it to 60km, but I am never really in a hurry, so 35-45km is where I sit. A blast on the beach running on sand.
See you on the build page in 12 days...

If anyone is looking to build a battery, check out batteryhookup.com. I got the flat cells with individual BMSs for really cheap. Got enough to build a second battery for the e-kayak, too. Shipping overseas might be a killer, but maybe there's something similar in the EU.

BUILD OFF! I have been wondering about the big one this year, and apparently I haven't been scrolling down past Bike Talk to find this discussion. I have been obsessed with Schwinn Speedster/Collegiate type frames for a while now. I entered last year with a Speedster built into a kind of 26" BMX cruiser, and I'm pretty happy with the result. My plan for this year starts with a Collegiate Sport. It looked like this when I rescued it:
20191025_175707.jpg

I got it to this point, which is what I thought I wanted:
20191103_073132.jpg

After riding it a few times, I think I decided it was pretty much the same as my green Collegiate except that I just didn't like riding it as much. So it's been sitting, waiting for me to get motivated for a makeover. And what better motivation than a RRBBO?

Plans call for MTB wheels and index shifting so far, and I guess the rest will come together once the build is underway. The cool part is that I feel like I've learned a bunch in putting together my black Speedster and my yellow Speedster, and even my daughter's Collegiate, so I'm looking forward to testing my mix and match skills to see if I can get an improved finished product...

If anyone is looking to build a battery, check out batteryhookup.com. I got the flat cells with individual BMSs for really cheap. Got enough to build a second battery for the e-kayak, too. Shipping overseas might be a killer, but maybe there's something similar in the EU.
I looked into building a battery, was cheaper to purchase already made from Germany. Even looked into rebuilding for a few drills. Just to get the batteries was the cost of a new drill. EU has gone bonkers.

I looked into building a battery, was cheaper to purchase already made from Germany. Even looked into rebuilding for a few drills. Just to get the batteries was the cost of a new drill. EU has gone bonkers.
You could also look into e bike conversion kits, complete kits are mostly cheaper.

Frank

If you build it, they will come!

You could also look into e bike conversion kits, complete kits are mostly cheaper.

Frank

If you build it, they will come!
Mine are all kits, just easier to set up,and then choose a battery. Half price in Germany,no taxes. So works out even cheaper than buying from Athens.

Probably going with Plum Crazy after a book I might finish after I get the Sloth & Good Boy books out and you can probably guess the color it'll be (I know Plymouth called it "In Violet", but the Dodge's color name is much better and better known).

Plum Crazy.jpg

My battery cost 200 Euro. This is the price of a quality building block, be it a suspension unit (forks, rear shock), or a rear multispeed wheel, or a nice frame. And it is not like you need ten of them. So not that expensive really.
What volts and ah?

For reference, the cells for my 52V 35aH battery cost about $150 from batteryhookup. Of course, that's a lot of battery, but I also want to run no more than 80% charge and keep the discharge rate low for the sake of lifespan. Plus the shipping cost was the same for a lesser number of cells.

36V, 10 000 mAh, I think.
yep about right 150euro with case and charger etc. Im in the 48 and 52v with a lot of ah 20 or more.

For reference, the cells for my 52V 35aH battery cost about $150 from batteryhookup. Of course, that's a lot of battery, but I also want to run no more than 80% charge and keep the discharge rate low for the sake of lifespan. Plus the shipping cost was the same for a lesser number of cells.
.... that's cheap, the customs gets us. We cant spend over 22e 25us before they tax and charge...

1619104069845.png

DAYS TO GO!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back