RRBBO16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I originally wasn't planning on participating in this year's Build Off, but then I got to thinking about possibly building this bike:
View attachment 155644View attachment 155645

I purchased this bike for $10 at the same swap meet that I bought Dumpster Diamond back in 2019. At first I had regretted my decision to buy this rusty girl's bike, but as soon as the seat tube sticker peeled off and revealed the beautiful shade of purple this bike used to be, I saw nothing but potential. I took the whole bike apart last year, as I had intended to try an oxalic acid bath on all the parts. I never got around to it, and the bike has just been a box of parts since.
View attachment 155646

Since all I've done to this bike is just take it apart, would it still qualify for the Build Off, since it hasn't technically been started yet? I figured it would pass, but I just want to be sure.
That's a nicely designed frame with great lines. Good luck!

Rule of thumb...
Build Offs are literally about BUILDING bikes.
Taking bikes apart beforehand should have no bearing.
(but then again they should have bearings, so what do I know)

Merle.

That's a nicely designed frame with great lines. Good luck!
Thanks! It's a frame style that's definitely grown on me.
Rule of thumb...
Build Offs are literally about BUILDING bikes.
Taking bikes apart beforehand should have no bearing.
(but then again they should have bearings, so what do I know)

Merle.
Hahaha! Well, then I better make sure I haven't lost my bearings taking on another Build Off!

Attachments

• 20210427_150503.jpg
    20210427_150503.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 69
I have an old had built tandem, I was wondering if it is class 1 acceptable
Class 1 is for "bolt together" builds. Anything else is good, just fab work has to be extremely minimal. Welding and chopping reserved primarily for class 2 unless it's some safety or structural thing

Class 1 is for "bolt together" builds. Anything else is good, just fab work has to be extremely minimal. Welding and chopping reserved primarily for class 2 unless it's some safety or structural thing
So this is what I have. Is it considered class 2?

Attachments

• 20210427_150503.jpg
    20210427_150503.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 66
So this is what I have. Is it considered class 2?

From the official rules

Class 1: Traditional Builds
This class is for builds using a factory manufactured frame and forks. Very minor modifications are acceptable like adding brackets, grinding off tabs, etc. This is more of an old school build category created for folks who may not have pro level fab and welding skills. If it appears that you’re frame modifications are too extensive you may be asked to move to Class 2

So I guess if anyone doesn't like you in class 1 they'll pipe up and you might get the bump

Last edited:
@MacSqueeky if it was mine I'd be entering it in Class 2. But I do most of my builds in Class 2 anyway... That said, I'm guessing if all you were planning was to freshen it up, paint or not, and build yourself a cool old tandem Class 1 would be fair. It's not like anyone purposely built that frame for the Build Off, it was done some time ago.

Carl.

@MacSqueeky if it was mine I'd be entering it in Class 2. But I do most of my builds in Class 2 anyway... That said, I'm guessing if all you were planning was to freshen it up, paint or not, and build yourself a cool old tandem Class 1 would be fair. It's not like anyone purposely built that frame for the Build Off, it was done some time ago.

Carl.
Thats about as far as my building abilities go is class 1. It looks to have been done closento 40+ years ago, I'm guessing. I got it from a and barn.

On my Build Off entry, I'm not sure whether I'm leaving the frame stock or modifying it yet. Would it be an issue if I started my build thread in Class 1, then move it to Class 2 if necessary? Would I be able to move it myself, or would I need one of the mods to take care of that for me?

Latest posts

Back