Ruff Cycles frames are now in the US!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone stretched a Porucho? I like this frame but it looks a bit cramped to me. Or should I just build a custom frame?

porucho037a.jpg

Small stretch...

porucho037_stretch.jpg

porucho037_stretch2.jpg

I would like to know how these ride. Are they very heavy when done? I'd hate to build one, then not like how it rides.

twister said:
I would like to know how these ride. Are they very heavy when done? I'd hate to build one, then not like how it rides.

Definitely not a lightweight bike depending on how you build them. A friend has a Tango and it's very nice. Very similar to my Basman.

My Basman weighs 60 pounds right now. It gained 8 pounds when I put the 8 speed Nexus and stick shift on it.

I have a porucho with 24x4 wheels and this bike is a tank compared to my felt. I run a seat post that is bent back and soma bars that are pretty straight off of a triple tree. This is by no means a cramped bike, it is already stretched, but then again I'm not using as a kick back cruiser where one sits straight up, I pretty much lie down on the thing and I'm 6-3. This bike attracts more attention than my greyhound, had a Chicago cop stop me the other day, thought I was getting a ticket for riding on the sidewalk, but he just yapped my ear off about it. When I park it, people stop, stare, comment, take pics, etc. It's a crowd pleaser, but I would not ride this bike more than say 8 miles as it's a beast. Also, you have to use 5.5 inch cranks or you will scrape the heck out of the pedals, even with those it is low. If you are going to buy one and have the ability to cut it, I would cut/heat/bend it and lower the rear so the bike sits about 3 inches higher. The problem I see with my idea is that you would then have to add three inches to the triple tree which in turn starts making it look chopperish. I'm actually thinking of buying a mongoose beast just so I can slap on the 26 inch wheels so I can raise it a few inches.

Thanks for all the help. You can understand my worries on building a $1000+ bike, and not being happy with it. I think I'll order a Beast from Walmart,and see how that goes. Thanks again, Dave.

Ldog33 said:
I have a porucho with 24x4 wheels and this bike is a tank compared to my felt. I run a seat post that is bent back and soma bars that are pretty straight off of a triple tree. This is by no means a cramped bike, it is already stretched, but then again I'm not using as a kick back cruiser where one sits straight up, I pretty much lie down on the thing and I'm 6-3. This bike attracts more attention than my greyhound, had a Chicago cop stop me the other day, thought I was getting a ticket for riding on the sidewalk, but he just yapped my ear off about it. When I park it, people stop, stare, comment, take pics, etc. It's a crowd pleaser, but I would not ride this bike more than say 8 miles as it's a beast. Also, you have to use 5.5 inch cranks or you will scrape the h*** out of the pedals, even with those it is low. If you are going to buy one and have the ability to cut it, I would cut/heat/bend it and lower the rear so the bike sits about 3 inches higher. The problem I see with my idea is that you would then have to add three inches to the triple tree which in turn starts making it look chopperish. I'm actually thinking of buying a mongoose beast just so I can slap on the 26 inch wheels so I can raise it a few inches.

Do you have any pics of your Porucho?

I'm concerned with how low the BB is in relation to the rear axle as well. I don't want a pedal scraper and I'm going to use thick bricks on Felt wheels. Also using an Abraham Linkage style fork and not sure how tall that would end up being in the front. I'm 6'5" and really like the ride of my Basman and I go on long rides with it. The big problem with the Basman is the lowness of the frame and the Porucho looks to have more ground clearance. The Basman has 26x2.35 tires on 47mm wheels and they are 1 1/2 inches taller than the thick bricks mounted up on the Felt wheels. I may just end up building my own design to get it just right.

I picked one up at Local Cycle in Long beach NY and am now in the process of building it. Mind you this is just a mockup.

One of the reasons I bought it was because it mesured up to fit my 6'1" frame pretty well. I have a Micargi Royal and it's a bit bigger than that, for sure.
The frame is off to the painter tomorrow. Ill keep you posted. 8)

No pics as of yet, just finished it and need to find a cool spot to snap some. One other thing, if one were to cut and stretch this bike one would then have issue reaching the pedals. With the seat post that I have I have about a 1/2 inch left in leg extension. If you were to mount 26 inch wheels you would ok riding around without scraping, it would still be low, but not bad at all. I bought this frame after I bought a worksman frame, and the worksman looks like a kids bike, frame wise, in comparison. This is my fav frame style, the board track and ruff did a pretty .... good job making one, one or two inches higher and it would be perfect, imo.

Thanks, do you have any problem with foot to tire clearance when turning?

If I was to stretch it, I'd move the BB back and up. At that point it's probably easier to just start from scratch.

NicksGarage said:
Thanks, do you have any problem with foot to tire clearance when turning?

If I was to stretch it, I'd move the BB back and up. At that point it's probably easier to just start from scratch.
Zero issues, and I'm running 4.25 tires

Here is mine so far...

I wouldn't worry about Stretching it. I'm 6'1" and I have to run the seat slammed just to reach the pedals. I've had no problem with heel strikes on the wheel either. If I would change anything, I'd raise the bottom bracket. The pedal will scrape if you're not paying attention. On the plus side, I don't need to run a kickstand. 8)

Latest posts

Back