Rusoleum Vs Krylon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a really good paint job and in any color you can imagine try your local auto paint supply stores. More and more of them nowadays have the capabilites of putting high quality paints in rattle cans and they can put the flake in them as well. Granted before anyone gets started, no rattle can paint job is going to be as durable as a spray gun for the main reason of you cant add hardener to rattle cans. With that said, even without hardener, this paint is much more durable then regular store brand paint, it is much more glossy even without clear, and like I said you can get custom colors mixed. The draw back to this is its expensive and it takes forever for it to dry. Most of the time your looking from anywhere from $15-$20 bucks a can. I have painted my project bike with it (Leftover Special) and I will paint every bike I ever build with it. Thats my 2 cents.

Yes it will, it makes its more durable. That is if you use a good clear and multiple coats

NONE!!!! if you want a quality paint job out of a rattle can use premium automotive formulated duplicolor cans ive use many different brands the best which i think is duplicolor :D

I usually spray an automotive urethane and use Matrix or PPG, but when I need a quickie paint job out of a rattle can the best method to get and almost automotive paint quality job is the following.
Prep is everything so start with Dupli-color self etching primer...the funky green color stuff. Works great on bare metal or well skuffed old paint. Then follow with a Dupli-color sandable primer if you need to fill or cover scratches etc. sands better than the cheap stuff and Rustoleum is oil based and balls up when you try to sand it. For the color coat Dupli-color or Valspar (House of Color) are both good, or try Little Daddy Roth Rattle Bomb if you want flake. it is a very high quality urethane based automotive grade paint in a spray can and comes in a bunch of cool flake colors. Then you can clear coat with Dupli-color clear, or for best results and a real chip free finish use Spray Max professional clear. It's a little pricy at about $20 a can But, it is a high gloss 2 part clear in a rattle can. You just press a botton on the bottom of the can to release the hardener catilist into the paint, shake, then spray. But you got to use the whole can asap or like any 2 part auto hardened paint it will be solid in a few hours.
Just my $.02.

10~18 Kustoms said:
For the color coat Dupli-color or Valspar (House of Color) are both good, or try Little Daddy Roth Rattle Bomb if you want flake.

Are you inferring that Valspar and House of (K)olor are the same product? If so, no wonder I like Valspar!

Like someone else said before It really comes down to PREP and not getting in a hurry. Alot of times what I do is build the paint up over 6 or 7 coats , thats how the lead painter at a body shop I worked at showed me. plus how to fix a scratch in a textured fender with a heat gun and a piece of sand paper

10~18 Kustoms said:
... Then you can clear coat with Dupli-color clear, or for best results and a real chip free finish use Spray Max professional clear. It's a little pricy at about $20 a can But, it is a high gloss 2 part clear in a rattle can. You just press a botton on the bottom of the can to release the hardener catilist into the paint, shake, then spray. But you got to use the whole can asap or like any 2 part auto hardened paint it will be solid in a few hours.
Just my $.02.

Marty,

Thanks for the advice about Spray Max. This sounds like the way to go for a high quality rattle can clear. I've been procrastinating on clear coating a custom paint and pinstripe job with HoK UC35 clear. This approach would really simplify the setup and cleanup part of a paint job, and is a lot cheaper than HoK too!

I'm getting ready to do a frame I just painted with SprayMax. It is pretty user friendly, but I can't emphasize the preparation enough. Really, the stuff is expensive enough to justify the extra work as well. But the results are great, and seem more durable than average spray paints. It is, however, much more, um, aeromatic than normal paint. Make sure you are very well ventilated and have a good mask. A simple dust mask from Home Depot won't help you much.

brett4christ said:
10~18 Kustoms said:
For the color coat Dupli-color or Valspar (House of Color) are both good, or try Little Daddy Roth Rattle Bomb if you want flake.

Are you inferring that Valspar and House of (K)olor are the same product? If so, no wonder I like Valspar!

Not nessessaraly the same product, but the same company. House of Kolor is a division Valspar since 1997. The House of Kolor labled products are only available in professional automotive packaging and not in rattle can, but they share the same formula secrets.

And Yes, I second the importance of a proper mask with the Spray Max paint, or really what ever paint you use.

I recently used Krylon, Rustoleum, and Valspar. Krylon was definitely the worst of the three. Maybe it was just this particular color but the paint was thin and runny so it really had to be laid on thick - one can didn't even cover an entire frame. It was also runny and krinkled up in a couple of spots.

So I sanded it and did a coat with Rustoleum, much better results. Coated pretty evenly though it seems to have a tendency to orange peel even if you're careful with the spraying distance. Got a little goopy in a couple areas, so I guess I've got to do some more sanding and some touch up. But it seems like I didn't hardly use any of the paint in the can and for the most part the results look smooth and even.

I only used a little bit of the valspar so far. Seems to work fine. Coated evenly, no gloopiness or orange peel, dries much faster than rustoleum. I'll be trying it for larger areas in the future.

I feel I have to go on record as NOT being a fan of Rustoleum "Clean Metal Primer (White)". Wanted a white primer to bring out colors, but I can't get it to go on without trouble. Very thin, doesn't cover well, and runs without hesitation no matter how you spray it, even in light coats. I paint with rattle cans enough to know the problem is not me. Sometimes you just get a paint that is impossible to work with. Guess I'll look for a different brand or try the grey.

Latest posts

Back