Rust in Peace

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

Reaction score
She's little tired, has a few freeze cracks and a few pin holes. Check out how much of the tank is left.
jchiggins1.jpg

Cut down to size.
frame1_zps6a1a5a01.jpg

First time I have ever seen the tank fall apart before the light bezel.
Good luck!

kingfish254 said:
First time I have ever seen the tank fall apart before the light bezel.
Good luck!

Unbelievable! Looks like it was burnt up in re-entry into the atmosphere! You would think it would melt the plastic. :lol: :lol:

Right now I'm sort of fishing for ideas. It could go together something like this?

frame3_zpsc43b0f2d.jpg

I had to stand on a chair to get the whole thing in one photo btw. I plan to throw in some weird stuff to set it apart from the typical burrito style (which I've already built).

Bill in Houston said:
What is a freeze crack?
When the frame fills with water through a rust hole or something and then the water freezes repeatedly during winter. It expands and repeatedly works the metal until it gets to the point of cracking the tubing.

Luke.

Less is more?
frame5_zps787cfb26.jpg

These could be seat springs or rear suspension, not sure yet.
frame6_zps0f6f79f5.jpg

I've been using my high tech adjustable tubing cutting jig and a hacksaw, no power tools needed so far.
framecuttingfixture_zpsfe1e0797.jpg

Progress has been slow; I've been working on it a few minutes each evening. I've managed to get the down tube angled right and have started welding the frame together.

frame9_zpsd3e9abf6.jpg

It's pretty true now, but its still too flexible without the chain stays and top tubes to get it really dialed in.

frame8_zps6435d365.jpg

huffyparts1_zpsb3b941be.jpg

I also scored a huffy parts bike which may provide the wheels and some other odds and ends. It has a shimano 3 speed hub if I can salvage the wheel.

I'm lacking a few pieces of tubing to finish the frame. I went to lowes today but they only carry 1/2 tubing (Actual tubing, not conduit or gas pipe). I'm sure I remember them having a few different sizes in the past. I'll have to try the local steel place tomorrow and see if they have anything in the scrap bins since I only need a few feet.

Latest posts

Back