Rust in Space

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some goodies in the mail today, and round 2 of musical handlebars begins...
f1402db77c3098cb179c3ae844728d48.jpg
a9b32a651ebdece74316b965ab218fcb.jpg
23a72b80f3b9154714194ae965f2737a.jpg
3030170ccac2e75d08990914c4807772.jpg
4dd97b7578602011084b654d8558b648.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nice. I like that plate. I've recently picked up a red Spaceliner and am now looking for a #7 tank. That plate in red would be sweet on mine... I think I'll order one. Weird trivia, the red ones were the low end Spaceliners but they're chrome underneath the paint! Making them initially more expensive to build. Of course they don't have any of the cool options except the tank, no sprocket hubcap, no springer, no tail lights. I wonder how tough it'd be to strip some of the paint? I'm thinking 1 inch bee stripes would be cool. Chrome-red-chrome-red...

Carl.

Nice. I like that plate. I've recently picked up a red Spaceliner and am now looking for a #7 tank. That plate in red would be sweet on mine... I think I'll order one. Weird trivia, the red ones were the low end Spaceliners but they're chrome underneath the paint! Making them initially more expensive to build. Of course they don't have any of the cool options except the tank, no sprocket hubcap, no springer, no tail lights. I wonder how tough it'd be to strip some of the paint? I'm thinking 1 inch bee stripes would be cool. Chrome-red-chrome-red...

Carl.
If the red is anything like the clear coat on the chrome ones, it will be tough to get off.

Ok, sort of back on track tonight. I worked on the Spaceliner before playing a little with the Ross.
Been watching YouTube videos on weathering wood and putting some more thought into finishing the woodwork.
Here is where I am at now. After some work with a wire brush and various hitting and jabbing moves I applied a good coat of the gray stain. After that sat a few minutes and wiped, I shot with a closer match blue spray paint. After that sat a few minutes I scrubbed it with four ought steel wool. Then slobbered on some ebony stain and wiped it down again. When it's all dry I might sand the edges a bit and hit the exposed wood with more stain. When dry I'll use a flat clear coat.
Trying to get a grubby-oily look to the wood rather than a true weathered look.
ea666a536da49716a38b87783f553cbc.jpg
9a2339df3e351699b755cb94e73adc9d.jpg
5bd2bf6b2010a0c1f13c3f8257284cb8.jpg
e3a6b2878eb4afadc1eee43a65f6b2f8.jpg
aecabd6252805682f93a136b67465393.jpg
fed9d297bf25e8a8c960761232c6888d.jpg
fa5d940cd3b3d6eafe730fe9e9690ca2.jpg

Hey buddy, what size are those ape hangers on the Ross????

New goodies are cool! You will love those Thompson grips for feel and looks. Nice plate too.

Glad you got another stem. The black one wasn't really working IMO. Looking good!
Yeah, I like the new stem too. Be better with the right shade of blue though.
Still up in the air on the Clubman bars. The Wald 898s have a more vintage aerospacey look about them. [emoji16]

Yeah, I like the new stem too. Be better with the right shade of blue though.
Still up in the air on the Clubman bars. The Wald 898s have a more vintage aerospacey look about them. [emoji16]

The Clubman bars are really cool, but seem a bit 'pointy' for this build? Everything is so 'swoopy' with nice curves, those points sitting way up high are a bit distracting.

The Clubman bars are really cool, but seem a bit 'pointy' for this build? Everything is so 'swoopy' with nice curves, those points sitting way up high are a bit distracting.
Exactly. I originally thought the points might play off the rear dropouts and any fins/winglets I might add. Now that I see them on the bike, I just don't like them.
Funny thing about the Clubman bars. I bought them for the Townie because I like their looks on bobber motorcycles (the look I had in mind for the Townie), but didn't really like them on that bike after I got them. I thought they would be cool on the Spaceliner, but that's not working out either!

Wish my ChopShopCustomz lay back seat post would come in so I can better visualize all the swoopiness that is the Spaceliner.

I should be working on my build off bike, but the lil' red Ross has my interest. Had the Spaceliner since April and have yet to ride it, while the Ross was pretty much ready to ride when I got it. Therefore, it currently is more funner to tinker with! [emoji16]

IM'd Chad from Chop Shop Customz and found out the seat post will be on the way this week. When it shows up here it ought to spark renewed interest in the Spaceliner and ignite the rocket's red glare to get the bike done.
3abfa2a611ff3093f95f70712abd2927.jpg

Handy, you might want to check out a pair of Thompson re-po rocket grips from @ifitsfreeitsforme . They are super comfy, vintage style, and would fit your build well.

Handy, you might want to check out a pair of Thompson re-po rocket grips from @ifitsfreeitsforme . They are super comfy, vintage style, and would fit your build well.

I only make ball end grips and I sell coke grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back