Rusting Bare Metal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering taking a frame down to bare metal and then adding a rusted appearance to it. I found the below video which seems pretty straightforward, but was wondering if there was a better method and if this was a good idea to do on an old steel frame. I assume if it's just surface rust and you put some sort of sealer on it afterwords that it would be okay.

Youtube - How to rust metal quickly

Thanks!

Dear Mr. Klunknoob:
All depends on the look that you're striving for. Boiled linseed oil applied on the rust might do the trick. This is a common technique with bikes that have rusted naturally. But since you're considering taking it down to bare metal, you could instead paint it with a rust-colored paint, which is available in various finishes -- gloss, satin, and flat. Paint might be a more permanent solution. If you want a flat finish with some texture, you could try brushing on something like Rust-oleum Rusty Metal Primer in lieu of spray paint. Try some test panels, see what looks good, and have fun!

Dear Mr. Klunknoob:
All depends on the look that you're striving for. Boiled linseed oil applied on the rust might do the trick. This is a common technique with bikes that have rusted naturally. But since you're considering taking it down to bare metal, you could instead paint it with a rust-colored paint, which is available in various finishes -- gloss, satin, and flat. Paint might be a more permanent solution. If you want a flat finish with some texture, you could try brushing on something like Rust-oleum Rusty Metal Primer in lieu of spray paint. Try some test panels, see what looks good, and have fun!
"Mr. Klunknoob", Hilarious!!
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try a few of those before committing on the frame. :)

I read somewhere on a Steam Punk forum where they took steel wool and let it rust in a spray bottle of hydro-peroxide then lightly sprayed that on a newly painted surface that was not fully dried ?

I read somewhere on a Steam Punk forum where they took steel wool and let it rust in a spray bottle of hydro-peroxide then lightly sprayed that on a newly painted surface that was not fully dried ?
I've seen that on a Youtube vid, not sure if it was the one I linked or not. The result looked pretty good.

I used a mixture of peroxide vinegar and salt. Then I sealed it with Everbrite.You wipe it on and it wont crack or peel and you can touch it up any time.Its been 3/4 of a year so far so good.Hope this helps

I used a mixture of peroxide vinegar and salt. Then I sealed it with Everbrite.You wipe it on and it wont crack or peel and you can touch it up any time.Its been 3/4 of a year so far so good.Hope this helps

Do you happen to have a picture of the result?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it turns out, I love the color after just taking the paint off! Thanks anyway for the suggestions!

41Rollfast_bare.jpg

Plain linseed oil works great on everything, it brings out the shine in old paint and adds a nice gloss (and protection from further rusting) to rust. Also wood!

Storing it with calcium hypochlorite but I would cork the tubing first. You can always pour a phosphoric acid though the tubing later. There is one made for prepping surfaces to paint. I can't think of anything else that rusts tools as fast as a humid shed with pool chemistry in it it. I have a garden cabinet I bet if I mixedd up some cal hypo in a solution in a bucket and put it in there in a sunny part of the yard that would be a fun take a daily photo experiment with a bare metal frame
FB_IMG_1580436399204.jpg
IMG_20190731_202014.jpg

Latest posts

Back