S SEAT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Any ideas on how should try and repair this tear on the cheap NOS seat I bought for my 71 Schwinn project, that I am just collecting parts for now , as I come across cheap parts . I was thanking maybe trying Marine-Tex ?

s seat.jpg

They have some vinyl repair stuff that's good but the sharp edge and the stress the seat takes from riding will probably just make it tear open again.

upload_2018-12-12_8-57-13.jpeg

It's not exactly NOS if there's a wear-hole in it.

But, were I going to try to repair the saddle, I'd probably start with a (p)leather patch, cut from an old sofa cushion. Work it up underneath the damage and secure it in place with contact cement. The remaining void would then become a purely cosmetic issue--fill it with that vinyl goop...or even white silicone caulk. That stuff could hide a multitude of sins.

Jam Sho Goo in there, cover the opening with plastic wrap and tape it tight. After it dries paint it white with acrylic outdoor art paint like you get at Michale's. It helps with the whole spirit of the process if you use duct tape. If the Goo spills over onto the seat just rub your thumb back and forth over it and it peels right off. I once made the back end of my hatch back Subaru out of duct take and slathered the whole thing with Sho Goo. I got rear ended and the hatch and tail light were pushed into the back seat. I used several rolls of duct tape to go around the rear fenders and cover the gap were the hatch was, positioning the tail lights in the hatch window with more duct tape, and slathering the whole mess with Sho Goo for additional reinforcement. I rode around for a few weeks like that, to everyones amusement, until my parts came in at the body shop. The duct tape never came off or needed further attention. If you can make a car this way it should fix a bicycle seat.

I am going to order some of this Shoe Glue and maybe practice on some old shoes that could use some fixin . Thank you

Your hardware store should have it, Low's and Home Depot have it here as well as the local hardware stores. If they don't have it there are other products called Goop, usually in the glue section. You can fix just about anything with Sho Goo, duct tape, reinforced fiberglass tape or JB Weld. Sometimes the fix is temporary but you can fix it again.

Any ideas on how should try and repair this tear on the cheap NOS seat I bought for my 71 Schwinn project, that I am just collecting parts for now , as I come across cheap parts . I was thanking maybe trying Marine-Tex ?

View attachment 87461

I just happen to have a seat cover exactly like yours in very nice condition, ( no bottom part)
If interested, PM me.
Rafael

I just happen to have a seat cover exactly like yours in very nice condition, ( no bottom part)
If interested, PM me.
Rafael
Best solution. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back